Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use airport time capsule as wireless hard drive

Hello, i have a brand new airport time capsule 3TB, right now it is extending my network from my aiport express. How can it up as a wireless hard drive to store all my stuff on, i haven't figured out how to upload stuff to the time capsule. Also can i set it so it requires a special password to access the hard drive feature while still allowing all my family and friends to log on and only have access to the internet through it (so no one accidentally deletes my stuff!!).

I use a new mac book pro laptop

Much thanks!

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 9:56 PM

1 reply

Sep 3, 2015 10:48 PM in response to jaredhenry

How can it up as a wireless hard drive to store all my stuff on,

It is already setup.. if it is in the network and running it is able to be used.

i haven't figured out how to upload stuff to the time capsule.

Mount the hard disk of the TC..

If you don't already have it in your Finder.. under shared.. make sure you have shared turned on.. or mount it manually..

Go, Connect to server in the top menu.

SMB://TCname or SMB://TCIPaddress where you replace the TCname with the actual network name or the TCIPaddress with the real IP address.

Then copy and paste.. or drag and drop.. whichever suits you.

Also can i set it so it requires a special password to access the hard drive feature while still allowing all my family and friends to log on and only have access to the internet through it (so no one accidentally deletes my stuff!!).

Yes.. set the disk password..

Open the airport utility (it sounds like you haven't really explored this much).. click on TC.. click on edit.. go to the disk tab.. set a disk password.

User uploaded file

How to use airport time capsule as wireless hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.