Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Super drive failure

I was burning some DVDs in the office using an 2-3 year old iMac. That was fine, but when the next person on the iMac wanted to burn some disks, the driver didn't even accept the disks and spits it out. since i was was the last one to successfully burn disks, I am put on suspicion.

DOes anyone know know how to diagnose the iMac. Is there a special way to see what is wrong with it?

ANy help welcomed!

TAkeshi.

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 8:07 AM

The SuperDrive tends to be one of the Mac’s weak links. They are very particular about media, they are very susceptible to dust and smoke, and they tend to be fragile. So here’s my basic diagnostic set:

1) verify that the media is good. Back when I was burning drives frequently I learned to buy cheap media in lots of 25 because I never used a large spindle fast enough.

2) verify that the media brand being used is the same that has been successfully used in the past. There’s some media my SuperDrives refused to burn to even though carrier loading drives had no trouble with it.

3) try using a known good high quality brand - Sony was my go to media.

4) purchase a cleaning kit. It can’t do any harm and sometimes works.

and if all else fails

5) if the computer is no longer under warranty purchase an external burner. The cost of replacing the drive just isn’t worth it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Takeshi1974

The SuperDrive tends to be one of the Mac’s weak links. They are very particular about media, they are very susceptible to dust and smoke, and they tend to be fragile. So here’s my basic diagnostic set:

1) verify that the media is good. Back when I was burning drives frequently I learned to buy cheap media in lots of 25 because I never used a large spindle fast enough.

2) verify that the media brand being used is the same that has been successfully used in the past. There’s some media my SuperDrives refused to burn to even though carrier loading drives had no trouble with it.

3) try using a known good high quality brand - Sony was my go to media.

4) purchase a cleaning kit. It can’t do any harm and sometimes works.

and if all else fails

5) if the computer is no longer under warranty purchase an external burner. The cost of replacing the drive just isn’t worth it.

Super drive failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.