Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i go back farther in my history to read texts on iMac

I see that I can read my text messages on my hard drive. I need to go back farther than August 19. Can I do that?

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:10 PM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2015 1:25 PM in response to jeanab143

Hi,

You should be able to go back in iMessages to the day that your set iMessages up.

There can be issues at the point the OS is Upgraded such as Mavericks (OS X 10.9.x) to Yosemite (OS X 10.10)

If you are looking for a sync copy (i.e you are on your Mac but the iMessages was sent to your iPhone Number) then you can only go back to the point they were Linked. (adding the Apple ID to the iPhone and accepting the Pop on the Mac.

If we are talking that you Enabled "Text Forwarding" on the iPhone and had the Code Number appear on the Mac and this was entered on the iPhone to link them then again you should be able to go back to the point that they were linked.

The only source I have for SMS/Text Messages that might go back that far are from my phone carrier when they send offers and the like.

However it seems that they don't always send from the same ID or number and I can't find one that goes back that far.

I do know that on occasion I have had to reset the Text Forwarding as I have become aware it is not working (Such as getting an alert for the carrier that does not appear on the Mac)

With other accounts (Yahoo, Jabber and AIM plus th Bonjour account) you can only go back if you had Saved Chats.

User uploaded file

9:25 p.m. Friday; September 4, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

how can i go back farther in my history to read texts on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.