Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious text message received from my own number

Hello,

I received a suspicious text message from my own number. It read "<My Name>, an image was received http://<suspicious url>".

Is this malware of some sort? If it is, how do I remove it? If it is not, how did I get a message from my own number?

Any thoughts?

I have a 6s iphone and it is not "jailbroken".

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Regards.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 10:18 PM

13 replies

Sep 6, 2015 7:06 PM in response to Gavin1001

No, there is no malicious app on your phone unless you specifically granted permission for it to install from a non Apple site. Your number could be used maliciously to send text to others but I doubt this will happen. Odds are the person who sent you that text sent them to all numbers within a certain range and hopes to get lucky with some people clicking the link. If you do nothing they have no way to know if your phone is a real number or not. I'm speaking in generalities here and going with the odds since I don't not completely know how they got your number. But I think it is random and you can ignore this occurrence. I would if it were my phone. Junk texts occasionally arrive to me too and I don't give them a thought.

Nov 21, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Gavin1001

I received a text from 7802970009@txt.bell.ca that

[(New message) Apple ID: If this is not done, we will be forced to suspend your account http://bit.ly/loginapples ]

I click it and went to the site look like apple site and asked me apple ID and password. I didn't put any info and delete text, but should I contact(report ) to apple about this?? Or tell to bell(cellphone company) ??

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thank you so much! 🙂

Suspicious text message received from my own number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.