Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup strategy for multiple Apple units (macs, iphones and ipads)

We have several macs (using 10.10.3), ipads and iphones in the family. We also have an airport extreme (a couple of years old) and a 3TB NAS available.

Here is my thought for a backup strategy:

- Each phone and ipad is backed to each family members mac - using iTunes (No problems so far ...)

- Each mac is the backed up to an allocated partion on the NAS using TimeMachine (Here my problems start ...)

My problems/questions

1. From TimeMachine I'm not able to see the NAS or any of its partions (and hence not allocate a backup disc for the sparse bundle created by TimeMachine). Why - I wonder? Is my gear to old and would a brand new TimeCapsule solve the problem?
  2. If I somehow were able to allocate a partion on the NAS for my different mac backups using TimeMachine - can I i) be sure that TimeMachine keep each family members backup intact? ii) control that each family members backup area is of equal maximum size i.e for example each family member gets a maximum of 25% of "allocated-backup-disc-space" on the NAS? If not - again - would an investment in a brand new TimeCapsule solve my problems?

If anyone have figured out how to solve the above challenge - primarily using an AirportExtreme and a NAS - I'm really interested in the solution.

Many thanks in advance!

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:52 AM

From TimeMachine I'm not able to see the NAS or any of its partions

Not wholly surprising.. Time Machine can be irascible.. and difficult.. especially on Yosemite..

Even if the NAS supports time machine it might require exact and precise setup steps to do so.

What NAS are you talking about??

would a brand new TimeCapsule solve the problem?

That depends.. it should by nature work easily with Macs.. but Yosemite being the network dog that it is.. maybe and maybe not.

What model is your Extreme.. ??

We also have an airport extreme (a couple of years old)

That was the change over.. Gen5 which doesn't support TM (officially) to Gen6 which does.

http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

If you have a gen6 AE I would be inclined to plug in a USB drive and give it a go.

If I somehow were able to allocate a partion on the NAS for my different mac backups using TimeMachine - can I i) be sure that TimeMachine keep each family members backup intact?

You can hope!! Read the info on pondini about TM and its little quirks.

http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

ii) control that each family members backup area is of equal maximum size i.e for example each family member gets a maximum of 25% of "allocated-backup-disc-space" on the NAS? If not - again - would an investment in a brand new TimeCapsule solve my problems?

Most NAS have some controls for space allocation per user.

The Time Capsule has none.. so please note.. jumping to the TC will not fix the issue..

People like our good friend Pondini have attempted to control the size of sparsebundle.

http://pondini.org/TM/A8.html

YMMV.

If anyone have figured out how to solve the above challenge - primarily using an AirportExtreme and a NAS - I'm really interested in the solution.

Backing up iOS products to the relevant Mac is great.. keep that up. Make sure all the people do plug in occasionally.

For a less than perfectly compatible NAS to Time Machine.. there are alternative backup software.. Time Machine is not the only game in town.

Carbon Copy Cloner is excellent.. I use it.. once license $40 covers your household.

Chronosync is by reputation also very good..

pick one.. give it whirl.. 1 month trial and see how it goes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 2:52 AM in response to geek66

From TimeMachine I'm not able to see the NAS or any of its partions

Not wholly surprising.. Time Machine can be irascible.. and difficult.. especially on Yosemite..

Even if the NAS supports time machine it might require exact and precise setup steps to do so.

What NAS are you talking about??

would a brand new TimeCapsule solve the problem?

That depends.. it should by nature work easily with Macs.. but Yosemite being the network dog that it is.. maybe and maybe not.

What model is your Extreme.. ??

We also have an airport extreme (a couple of years old)

That was the change over.. Gen5 which doesn't support TM (officially) to Gen6 which does.

http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

If you have a gen6 AE I would be inclined to plug in a USB drive and give it a go.

If I somehow were able to allocate a partion on the NAS for my different mac backups using TimeMachine - can I i) be sure that TimeMachine keep each family members backup intact?

You can hope!! Read the info on pondini about TM and its little quirks.

http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

ii) control that each family members backup area is of equal maximum size i.e for example each family member gets a maximum of 25% of "allocated-backup-disc-space" on the NAS? If not - again - would an investment in a brand new TimeCapsule solve my problems?

Most NAS have some controls for space allocation per user.

The Time Capsule has none.. so please note.. jumping to the TC will not fix the issue..

People like our good friend Pondini have attempted to control the size of sparsebundle.

http://pondini.org/TM/A8.html

YMMV.

Backing up iOS products to the relevant Mac is great.. keep that up. Make sure all the people do plug in occasionally.

For a less than perfectly compatible NAS to Time Machine.. there are alternative backup software.. Time Machine is not the only game in town.

Carbon Copy Cloner is excellent.. I use it.. once license $40 covers your household.

Chronosync is by reputation also very good..

pick one.. give it whirl.. 1 month trial and see how it goes.

Sep 4, 2015 1:18 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your reply!

The NAS I'm using is a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 and the AirportExtreme model is labeled A1408. The NAS does provide a "TimeMachine service" however - and as you rightly point out - the combo TimeMachine and disc space control has room for improvements.

No - as you also rightly point out - TimeMachine isn't the only player on the backup market. As I received your reply - I was evaluating ChronoSync and I think I'll pursue this solution ...

Again many thx for your response

Sep 4, 2015 3:41 AM in response to geek66

There are no non-Apple NAS devices that will work with Time Machine, so if you want to use your Netgear device then use a backup strategy other than Time Machine.

The exhaustive list of devices supported by Time Machine amounts to the following:

• AirPort Time Capsule's built-in hard disk (any model)
  • External USB hard disk drive connected to a Time Capsule (any model)
  • External USB hard disk drive connected to an AirPort Extreme (802.11ac model only)
  • A hard disk drive directly connected either to the source Mac, or a Mac running OS X Server on your local network.

That is all.

Use whatever backup device you want, but you should be aware that this site is full of reports of misery from hapless individuals who had been using third party NAS devices for Time Machine backups, only to find that they were incomplete, corrupted, or useless in the dire circumstances in which they were required. Apple won't care if you lose your data while using a Time Machine configuration specifically excluded from their technical support documents.

Backup strategy for multiple Apple units (macs, iphones and ipads)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.