Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Good day. I have a 2014 late model MBP with the 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 750M chipset. Is there a way to update drivers for this video card on the MBP? I see conflicting information in web searches on the topic and it appears there are beta drivers available for MAC OSX for some chipsets.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 10:32 PM

5 replies

Sep 4, 2015 5:38 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the response Kappy. The reason that I ask is that there appears to be some software Nvidia is making for Mac.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/143435-nvidia-releases-alternate-graphics-dri vers-10-10-0-343-01-01-maxwell-geforce-gtx-970-980-support.html

It would be helpful if drivers were kept up to date more often on OSX. Programs like Crossover that have the ability to use the GPU could benefit from some of the patches provided by Nvidia over time.

Sep 4, 2015 4:04 PM in response to jpmtam

There is no reason why Crossover cannot use your GPU, but mobile GPUs don't all have the capabilities of the standalone GPUs, but they can support OpenGL and OpenCL. So, I'm not sure why you believe there's anything missing. The GPU in your MBP will perform whatever it was designed to do by Nvidia. Nvidia writes the drivers for Apple. I don't believe you've been well-informed about the GPUs and OS X drivers.

Sep 4, 2015 7:35 PM in response to Kappy

I didn't indicate there was anything missing. I also didn't indicate that crossover cannot use my gpu. I'm well aware that crossover can and does use both iris and the nvidia gpus. I also haven't been misinformed. I'm simply asking questions in this forum to learn more about how others users are using their Macbook Pro systems with regards to GPU capabilities. That is what they are provided for. Apple rarely releases significant updates for the graphics chipset. There are cards available for desktop apple products that can have drivers upgraded on a more frequent bases. Mobile GPUs are always more limited, on any hardware platform and by any GPU manufacturer. They are often throttled, overheat fast, and seem more prone to have issues with driver updates than their desktop counterparts. Nividia and ATI both write decent whitepapers on updates for chipsets like the 750 et al. Some of those improvements might be nice for the Apple mobile platform. I mentioned Crossover as an example, nothing more. I'm simply learning more about how others are using their systems for higher end graphics applications and whether there may be an option at some point in the future for consumers to receive more recent updates from gpu companies.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.