Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Infection Found -- How to do I get rid of it?

I ran ClamXav on my macbook pro (running OS X Yosemite) and it told me that an infection was found. The message displayed:

"One or more infected files were found, but were left where they are. You can either deal with them yourself, or scan again with the preferences set to move them into a different folder."

How do I remove this file? ClamXav gives you the option to delete or quarantine it, but I've been told that puts the file on to your hard drive if its not already there. Also, this is not an infection relating to my email (the program doesn't search that).

What should I do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:52 PM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2015 12:25 AM in response to carolinebbaber

For fastest, most efficient answers to questions like this, visit the ClamXav Forum.

carolinebbaber wrote:

I ran ClamXav on my macbook pro (running OS X Yosemite) and it told me that an infection was found.

Without knowing exactly what was found where, I'm afraid I can't offer you much advise. Have your read Dealing with Infected Files?

ClamXav gives you the option to delete or quarantine it, but I've been told that puts the file on to your hard drive if its not already there.

Not sure who might have told you this, but they are wrong. It's already on your hard drive, otherwise it would not have been detected. Quarantine will move it out of harms way and deleting it will move it to your Trash Can where it can be removed from your hard drive, but I don't recommend you do either until you know exactly what this file is and where it is located. If it turns out to be an important file that you need, it will be difficult to put it back.

Also, this is not an infection relating to my email (the program doesn't search that).

Again, I don't know where you heard this, but it's wrong. A long as you have scanned your mail folder then any file ending in ".emlx" is an e-mail file. It just won't allow you to move anything for fear of corrupting a mailbox.

What should I do?

To get detailed infomation on what ClamXav has found, after completing the scan, click in the top pane of the ClamXav window where it shows the Infection / File Name / Status to make sure it's in front and type the key combinations <Command>-A, <Command>-C (or choose "Select-All", "Copy" from the "Edit" menu) to copy the information to your clipboard, then come back here and type <Command>-V or choose "Paste" to show us what was found where.

Infection Found -- How to do I get rid of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.