Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portable Hard Drive questions...

ok, sorry if this sounds dumb but they are questions i dont have 100% answers too.

i use a 2013 13in macbook pro retina.

1. Can all external HDD be used with macs?

2. Ive seen specific External Portable Hard Drives for Mac are these the best to get?

3.What are some brands to steer clear from?

Feel free to laugh at me for not knowing its cool but id appreciate some usefull info in the "common man" tongue.

cheers in advance 😎

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 12:06 AM

3 replies

Sep 4, 2015 12:55 AM in response to navagate45

Most Interesting Navagate45,

I would suggest that WD elements are as reliable as Seagates (but don't use seagate barracudas as if seen them crash after 2 years of use). However there are no real brands to stay clear from. Everyone has a favourite brand and type of external harddrive. Just pick one, you can't really go wrong. Just keep in mind that a harddrive can crash so have another backup device as well.

In line with Navagate45: Mac machines can read and use most harddrive formats: MAC OS types, exFAT, FAT32. And it kan read NTFS (standard windows harddrive format) but you cant edit or change anything. also see Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture - Apple Support

about the mac specific harddrive connector. Yes macs can use harddrives via Thunderbolt. this allows for very fast data transfer but is more expensive than regular USB2 or USB3 external harddrives. Unless you are a professional user and need very fast data transfer you don't need that type of external harddrive

Sep 4, 2015 2:52 AM in response to bird person

Essentially any SATA HDD that can connect to your Mac will work, whether it is a 2.5' or 3'5" HDD. There will be cheerleaders for all the brands, but bottom line they all will work. GhonaZ has given you some good information and heed it. I would only add the 'problems' with some brands are usually due to the manufacturer installing software that is incompatible with Macs, but that can be overcome.

Check the OWC and Newegg websites for a vast selection that is available.

Ciao.

Portable Hard Drive questions...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.