Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty reformatting SSD

I have a Transcend 960gb SSD installed in a mid 2012 MacBook Pro

The drive is split into two partitions, I want to reformat them into one.

In Disk Utility the drive shows as two separate volumes???

sh-3.2# diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *960.2 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage 879.5 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Apple_CoreStorage 79.1 GB disk0s4

5: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s5

/dev/disk1

0: Apple_HFS Piha *78.7 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s4

20AA659B-DDB9-4626-81E2-DE231915B650

Unencrypted

/dev/disk2

0: Apple_HFS Yosemite *879.1 GB disk2

Logical Volume on disk0s2

10964BE8-5E57-4961-870B-C51C79FD1B0E

Unencrypted

This is the same if I use the Disk Utility application from the Utilities folder or when I use disk utility after booting from the Recovery partition.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), The other partition is Mavericks

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 3:48 AM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2015 4:17 AM in response to KarelWH

Partitioning a drive creates logical volumes, that’s how it works. When you partition the drive the operating system sees each partition as a hard drive. There are two ways to go about making the SSD into a one partition drive. Theoretically you can delete disk2 (the last partition) and then resize disk1 to give it the space that was allocated to disk2. I say theoretically because sometimes it just doesn’t work. In this case it doesn’t make much sense to do so since disk2 contains your boot partition so you’ll have to reinstall the OS (or restore from a backup).

On to method 2 - reparation the drive with 1 partition. Start Disk Utility, select the SSD, and click on the Partition tab. You’ll see a popup menu saying “2 partitions”. Click on that and select 1 partition. Click on Apply. The drive will be partitioned. This will remove the Recovery Partition so you’ll need to restore the Recovery Partition - if you made a clone of your drive with CarbonCopyCloner it can restore it, otherwise, download and reinstall the OS.

Sep 4, 2015 1:01 PM in response to dwb

The two logical volumes show up in Disk utility as separate drives. Hence there is no way to select the SSD. When you select the volume associated with either of these "separate" drives you can see the two partitions but the option to choose a different partition scheme is greyed out. (Even though I booted from the recovery portion or from an external drive) I have partitioned drives for years and never come across this problem. I wish I could attach a screen shot from Disk Utility)

Difficulty reformatting SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.