Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Access

My Macbook pro was set up with 2 users - Work and Home. Time Machine was installed on a new external HD. and it did a complete back-up and continued with incremental back-ups. A problem started with emails on the home user part which wasn't easily solved so, in consultation with Apple Help, I set up a second Home Users account - transferring most home files to the new user account and the email problem was solved.

A month or so later the Macbook Pro started seizing during a restart and would only restart in Safe Mode. Disc Utility stated there was a problem with the hard disc that it could not repair. so I swapped the failing disc with a new solid state HD (putting the old HD in a Caddie) and, rather than cloning the old setup which had problems, started with a new installation - transferring files across as required and setting up new email accounts - including importing emails etc from the old HD. However when I tried to access the Time Machine from either the new HD or the old HD (in safe mode) I had no success. The reason for trying to access it was to retrieve the address book, bookmarks etc which seem to have been wiped on the old hard disk. Is there a way of accessing the Time Machine from the new set-up or should I reformat the Time Machine disc and start afresh?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 5:29 AM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2015 5:48 AM in response to richardfromlerwick

1. TimeMachine uses a unique UIDD of a disk instead of a name or number. So an old backup copied to a new disk, will not be read. The same for a new installation of OSX, TM can be connected to the old disk to do its work, but it can not read the old backup.

There are however ways to "convince" TM to use the old backup.

A lot of information on TM, including this puzzle, is in a very old but still actual site: www.pondini.org.

2. if it is only contacts and you have them synced them with an iPhone (icloud) they are still in the iphone !!

Time Machine Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.