Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Music Available Offline" is On but it doesn't make any difference. An ideas?

Hi all,

I bought a brand new 128Gb iPod touch from the Apple Store a couple of weeks ago. It is running the latest iOS 8.4.1 and everything is up-to-date. In my Music library when I am away from a wi-fi connection I only want to view the music in my library has has actually been downloaded to the iPod and not all of the music I have stored on iCloud. When you click on the selection to view Library by Artist, Album, Song etc. there is an option at the bottom that says "Music Available Offline - Only show music stored on this iPod touch" and a toggle switch for on/off. It doesn't matter whether I have this on or off I always have my entire music library (locally stored and on iCloud) displayed.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or know how to rectify it? I am an Apple Music subscriber too if that is relevant so I do not want to turn off Apple Music as that removes all songs from Apple Music, even those downloaded and stored on the iPod.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:12 AM

3 replies

Sep 4, 2015 6:26 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the articles. They are a good overview of how it all works but none of them address the particular issue I raised which was:

"... there is an option at the bottom that says "Music Available Offline - Only show music stored on this iPod touch" and a toggle switch for on/off. It doesn't matter whether I have this on or off I always have my entire music library (locally stored and on iCloud) displayed."

So if I have 6 albums on my iPod and 2 have been downloaded to the device and the other 4 are only playable when I have a wi-fi connection and can stream them from iCloud, by toggling that switch "on" I would expect those 4 albums to disappear from the view so only the 2 albums downloaded directly onto my iPod remain on view. Toggling back to "off" those 4 albums would reappear so I have 6 albums in my collection again. That's what I would expect to happen. What actually happens is nothing. On either view I always have all 6 albums, it's just that when I have no wi-fi connection those songs that need to be streamed just don't play. But they are always showing which renders this feature useless unless either a) I am doing something wrong or b) it is a bug/glitch in the software.

"Music Available Offline" is On but it doesn't make any difference. An ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.