Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro only working in Safe Mode

Here's the background...

Late 2013 model, MacBook Pro Retina

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP111.0138.B14

SMC Version (system): 2.16f68

No new apps have been downloaded for months. Everything was running smoothly…then randomly, out of nowhere, my Macbook freezes. Trackpad won’t move the mouse cursor, keyboard won’t work, etc…upon reboot, I’m able to use the computer for about 10-15 seconds at most (I can open a folder or app if I’m real fast) and then it locked up again. And this kept happening over and over (10 reboots).

I did the Apple Hardware Diagnostics from boot and nothing bad was found. I scanned using Disk Utility from boot and no issues found. So I ended up formatting the drive clean.

Upon re-installation of Yosemite (from bootable USB), I’m encountering the same exact problem. The computer works for about 10-15 seconds and then it freezes again.

But, Safe Mode works 100% just fine without any issues for unlimited time (I’m in safe mode right now as I’m posting this).

Unfortunately, I’m in the Philippines right now and the only repair shop with an “authorized” technical is 2 hours away. I’d love to get some insight from you guys as to what might be the problem before I shell out $1,500 for a new Mac.

What possible problems would this be? I thought possibly the hard drive, but then wouldn’t safe mode not work as well?

MacBook Pro only working in Safe Mode?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), MacBookPro11,1

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:11 AM

9 replies

Sep 4, 2015 3:28 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I tried SMC and also NVRAM. Still has the same problem. I'm heading out tomorrow (driving 2 hours) to a store in the Philippines that has a technician. I just called him on the phone and he said he has never encountered my problem before. So...the headache has already begun. If anyone has any input before I make the drive, it is much appreciated. If they can't fix it or they need to send it away some some service center for a few weeks, I'm just going to hop on a bus to Manila and buy a new one. Each hour that passes by, I'm losing money from my customers.

Sep 4, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Paul Conaway

I tried that in Disk Utility. Everything is perfect (in the report). I don't have any 3rd party apps running. This is a fresh install of the OS X after wiping my hard drive totally clean. There's not even 1 personal file on this. From the moment the fresh install of the OS X finished, it started acting up again and freezing.

I'm on 10.10....but the problem started when I was on 10.10.5 --- but when I formatted, the version of Yosemite I had was only 10.10

Literally this problem started out of nowhere...I haven't installed any 3rd party apps in months. Very very odd...and especially after a fresh install and clean wipe, the problem still persists? I'm dreading driving out there tomorrow in the hot sun (on the motorcycle) with the laptop in my backpack...but I really have no choice.

Safe mode sure works like a charm, though haha...too bad I can't do my video editing and music recording in it.

Sep 5, 2015 9:44 PM in response to video_macpro

Well, it's going to take them a few weeks to diagnose everything. They hooked up and external hard drive with Yosemite on it and tried to run it, and the same problem happened (it froze upon login). But safe mode still works as usual. I ended up purchasing a brand new Mac because I simply can't wait even one more day or I will lose tons of customers (I record music and do video editing). He mentioned it might be a logic board problem. We shall see. But on a good twist of events, I mentioned to him (the tech) that I also had a 2011 Late Macbook Pro 15 inch which has a video card problem, and he said Apple has a free recall replacement program in place, so.....sweet, I can get that one fixed for free 🙂

MacBook Pro only working in Safe Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.