Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extract/save part of pages document

Hi

I have a Pages document which is some 96 pages long.

I want to send about 4 pages from the middle of it to someone; ideally therefore I want to save those pages out as a seperate document. (Rather like printing a page range)

Can this be done?

Thanks

iPad

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 5:57 AM

Hi Time for Tea,

You might start by making a duplicate of the document in question. I'd give the new copy a distinctive name to avoid confusion later, then simply delete everything to don't want to send out. Save and share away.

3 replies

Sep 4, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Time for tea

Hi Time for Tea,

Just adding to Richard's excellent reply:

within the body of the document, select the content that you want send. Dragging or Shift click works for me.

Copy.

Menu > File > New (command n) to open a new Pages document.

Paste.

Save with a temporary name such as "Fred".

Send.

(Don't worry about the thumbnails Panel. Just work with the content within the document body).

Regards (and thanks to Richard 🙂)

Ian.

Edit: I removed reference to the Thumbnails Panel as that was not part of this discussion, and was irrelevant. Ian.

Sep 4, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Time for tea

If you do not mind those four pages in PDF format, you can select the page range in the Print panel in either Pages '09 v4.3, or Pages v5, and then under the PDF submenu, select either Open in Preview (to confirm), or just Save to PDF. This is the easiest this four page process is going to get.

If you want four pages from the middle of your Pages document, then you cannot just select the thumbnail icon range that you want. You will need to open a new document (using the same template). In the source document click the thumbnail icon that represents the first page of the range to be copied. Click at the beginning of this page, and then continuously drag down to select the pages in the desired range. Use document page numbers as your guide, or a mental count of pages as they scroll up. When you stop, the thumbnail icon's blue background will be on the last page selected.

Copy your new selection, and paste (do not paste and match style) into the new document. Save it under a different name, or one with a memorable name formed from the original (e.g. foo_pp45_48.pages). You may wish to reindex the Page numbers in the new document to match those taken from the original document for easier content reference. In Pages v5, you click on the Toolbar document icon, and from that resulting panel, the Section tab. Here you can resequence the page numbers. In Pages '09 v4.3, page renumbering can be changed in the Layout Inspector's Section tab.

Extract/save part of pages document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.