Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MacBook Pro with 2 dead GPUs - Will they just replace it again?!

I'm American, but I live in Thailand. I bought my 2011 MacBook Pro at the end of 2011. During this time I've had many GPU issues. I'm on my 3rd GPU now, which has again died. To do the repairs I have to take the bus all the way to Bangkok (about 4.5 to 5 hours) and it's a huge hassle. So now that the GPU has died AGAIN, I've heard that Apple replaces the entire machine on the 3rd repair. I've already had to buy a new MacBook, because this one has just had so many problems and I can't deal with all the hassle and traveling to have it repaired, but if Apple would replace this one I could sell it and at least get some of the money back for the new one I had to buy. I've literally only been able to use the MacBook for about 1/3rd of the time I've owned it.

The problem is Apple doesn't have an official Apple Store in Thailand. They have authorized service centers. I know if I took this MacBook to an official Apple store, the genius would say this is crazy and would replace the machine. They're always amazingly helpful at the official Apple stores. But I have a strong feeling that the technician at the Apple authorized service center is just going to send it out for repairs again. And at this point I'm 100% sure it will just die again.

If they're just going to send it back for repairs, I'd rather save a trip to Bangkok and throw the freaking computer away. It's caused me so many problems and lost work that I don't want to deal with it. Apple should replace my computer, but I think in Thailand there's not much chance of that happening. I'm just not sure.

Sorry this is a bit long, but there's a long history with this computer. Does ANYBODY have ANY advice for me on this? I've talked to an Apple rep and all they say is to take it in to the authorized repair center and they will decide what to do. Like I said, I know they're just going to repair it for a 3rd time and it's going to die again.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Gavin

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 6:12 AM

There are no replies.

2011 MacBook Pro with 2 dead GPUs - Will they just replace it again?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.