Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad crashes. Increased storage option.

iPad crashes several times a day and reboots itself. Getting storage messages "only 125 MB, etc," so purchased more storage now have 20GB with 18.2 available.

How do I move the data to the new storage option? Appreciate any help. Thanks. jn

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 7:18 AM

6 replies

Sep 4, 2015 7:57 AM in response to cekneary

Online or cloud storage won't really help you unless you move stuff to it and delete it off your iPad.

https://www.apple.com/support/icloud/

Has information on iCloud.

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

has some info on how to backup.

Choose what you want and then move it.

Quick ways to get space back is to delete stuff. Such as movies you've watched, large apps you never use, etc.

Settings, general, usage tells you what's taking up space and you can then decide what to remove.

A good rule of thumb is to have around a gig of open space for your ipad to work.

Sep 4, 2015 8:00 AM in response to cekneary

You cannot add storage to an iPad, it is a sealed device and the amount of storage you have at the time of purchase is all it will ever have. If your iPad is telling ypunit is out of space then only thing you can do is delete content to free up space.

It sounds like what you purchased was additional iCloud storage. That is space in your online services account with Apple's iCloud service. It has nothing at all to do with storage space on your iPad itself.

Sep 4, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Michael Black

Thanks Michael Black. I know that storage cannot be added to an iPad like we do with iMac's or MacBooks, etc. I am just trying to off load the data/apps that are causing the iPad to crash, run slow, act like a brick. I was going to take it to the Apple Store in El Paso, but it's a 100 mile trip. Appreciate any help.

I did purchase the extra 20GB and now need to know how to move stuff into that cloud space. Thanks.

Sep 4, 2015 4:29 PM in response to cekneary

You cannot move apps to your personal iCloud account. Your apps are available for re-download from a cloud source already - the Apple online App Store where your purchase history is tied to your AppleID and account. You can move individual documents to your iCloud Drive storage if the app itself supports connecting and moving files to & from your iCloud account. Otherwise, app data is captured in an iTunes or iCloud backup and can be restored from that.

If you have apps that are causing problems, just delete them. If you want them back later, just login to the App Store and re-download them.

Sep 5, 2015 8:27 AM in response to cekneary

For apps to run, they need to be on the iPad's physical storage. Nowhere else.

You can delete Apps, and they will automatically become available from the cloud (i.e Apple's App Store Servers) for download as long as they continue to be available in the store. But you cannot move them to your iCloud purchased space,

In other words, you cannot select iCloud as a location for Apps.

Movies, Music, Books etc.. purchased from iCloud also work the same way. You can delete them to make space and will be available for download from the cloud / stores for free. But you cannot move them to iCloud.

For other documents and data like PDFs in certain Apps, and other files, you can move files, onto iCloud Drive from a computer. But to do so form an iPad would require an App that can access iCloud Drive. The procedure to upload would depend on the App.

For Photos, there's really no easy way to do this, on an iPad. As iCloud Photo Library, will continue to use local space on the iPad for the Photos it uploads, as well as Photo Stream.

Your best bet, is to determine what you do not need, and remove it, and what you need but less often, maybe move onto a computer. From there you can decide whether you want to upload some files to iCloud, and then be able to use Apps like Documents 5 to view them, and edit them.

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/documents-5-fast-pdf-reader/id364901807?mt=8

iPad crashes. Increased storage option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.