Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Index xml file missing

Yesterday I created and saved a spreadsheet. I reopened it several times with no problem. Today when I try to open it I get the message that the file is invalid because "the index xml file is missing." How can I open the file and modify it?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 9:40 AM

Hi Ross Red,

You can have both Numbers 3 (current) and Numbers '09 open at the same time. Make sure you are in Numbers 3 and open from there.

quinn

2 replies

Jun 21, 2016 1:22 PM in response to Ross Red

Ross, I'll bet you have two Numbers.App files on your hard Drive. I had the same problem, and here's how I fixed it.

1. Go to the FINDER

2. In the search box on top of finder, type in Numbers.app

3. At least two choices should pop up

4.Doduble click on one of them

5. Then try to open your file with that version of Numbers.app

6. If it works, then that's the version you want.

7. If not, then close out that version of Numbers, go back to the finder list and select another version. Then try to open your file again

8. If that version works then that's the one you want.

7. Trash all the versions that don't work. Then Quit Numbers.

9. Open Numbers from the Dock, then try to open the file in question. It should open with no problem.

In my case, there were two versions of numbers. One in Applications, and one in the Iworks folder, also in Applications. I hsve no idea how I ended up with the two versions. The Numbers Application standing alone and not in the Iworks folder was the latest and that works just finenow.

Good luck. BTW, this is the first time I'v tried to help someone in this Forum. It was fun...

Index xml file missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.