Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset login password

How to reset login password when User/Groups is locked and will not allow apple id to be used

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:26 AM

Restart the MacBook and hold the Command and R keys. When it has restarted on the recovery partition, from the Utilities drop down menu choose Terminal. After Terminal opens, type EXACTLY:

resetpassword

and press Enter. After the Reset Password window opens, select the internal drive, then the user, and enter a new password, twice. Save and accept the next dialog window that opens.

Lower right of the Reset Password window, accept resetting the user home folder permissions.

Upper left of the menu bar, click the apple, then Restart.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 10:26 AM in response to carolinefromocean grove

Restart the MacBook and hold the Command and R keys. When it has restarted on the recovery partition, from the Utilities drop down menu choose Terminal. After Terminal opens, type EXACTLY:

resetpassword

and press Enter. After the Reset Password window opens, select the internal drive, then the user, and enter a new password, twice. Save and accept the next dialog window that opens.

Lower right of the Reset Password window, accept resetting the user home folder permissions.

Upper left of the menu bar, click the apple, then Restart.

Sep 4, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thank you, thank you. But now my Safari says it has no key chain to save to. I hit the reset option and then a screen asking for password appeared. It accepted the password and presented a screen saying Safari wants the password for local keychain access. When I entered my new login password it was rejected. From the Safari menu I selected the Reset Safari option and then tried again. But still the same sequence of events? Any suggestions?

Caroline

Sep 4, 2015 12:01 PM in response to carolinefromocean grove

That is a strange one, Caroline.

Look at Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access and see that the login is unlocked, and that Safari has items listed in the Passwords section. If not, Safari does not seem to know to go there.

User uploaded file

If you go to Safari on the menu bar, with Safari open, Preferences, Passwords, is there anything listed in there?

When you finished resetting the password using the Reset Password utility, did you click Reset at the lower right of that window to Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs?

Sep 4, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph,

I did check the Keychain Access menu. The page is locked and the local

items page is blank.

When I try to unlock the local items, a window pops up saying, "Keychain

access wants to use the "local items" keychain. Please enter the keychain

password. Then entering the new login password the password is not

accepted.

There is no request for anything else. I have no Admin password. The login

password is the only one I know about.

Yes, I did click the Reset in the lower right of the screen to have "Folder

Permissions and ACLs" reset. After I restarted the laptop, a screen came up

asking me if I wanted to create a new keychain or reuse the old one. I

think I made a bad choice thinking the new password would need a new

keychain. Maybe this is what caused all this.

Now I am getting regular pop ups saying "A keychain cannot be found to

store Safari." Click either cancel of reset to defaults. If I click reset

to defaults, I am asked for the keychain password which is then rejected as

I am using the login password. I can cancel the operation and use Safari,

but these pop ups are frequent.

Thanks for your help.

Caroline

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Apple Support Communities Updates <

reset login password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.