Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I use gmail on Macbook Pro.after opening and clicking on my inbox a msg appears "mail quit unexpectently. click reopen to open the app again."It opens but when inbox clicked the same message appears. Suggestions?

I use gmail on Macbook Pro. After opening mail and clicking on my inbox a msg appears "mail quit unexpectently. click reopen to open the app again." Mail opens but when inbox clicked the same message appears. I can open Sent Mail, Trash, etc but the message only happens with the Inbox. Suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Yosemite 10.10.4

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 9:30 AM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2015 10:30 AM in response to kschu1

Mail.app is crashing. In the window that reports the crash (and allows you to re-open) the specific problem Mail encountered is sometimes articulated in an inscrutable computer-speak message, near the top of the screen.

If you could write that down or cut-and-paste it here (just the text, please, not a photograph or screenshot) it may prove helpful. Those reports drone on for many pages that may be helpful for the developer, but they do not contain any useful additional information for debugging otherwise.

--------

Mail.app uses several complicated databases to keep track of potentially thousands of email messages, previous recipients, and email Sending and receiving Accounts. Occasionally, one or more of these gets messed up. Once it crashes, it is generally not useful to re-launch Mail until you have done a Restart.

The best way to proceed after such a crash is to invoke Safe Mode by holding Shift while you Restart your Mac. This does a five-minute Disk Utility (Repair Disk [directory]) that assures the File System Directory is in good order. Then it demands your Userid and password (even if you normally auto-login). Most extensions are not loaded, so you may find some things do not work properly (but they should produce error message, not just hang).

I use gmail on Macbook Pro.after opening and clicking on my inbox a msg appears "mail quit unexpectently. click reopen to open the app again."It opens but when inbox clicked the same message appears. Suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.