Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doen't windows 7 connect to HP printer

I was using airport express to connect a Windows XP computer with HP printer (M1319f MFP). I upgraded to a Windows 7 computer and now the printer won't work. The Bonjour Wizard finds the printer and says that it is connected. When I try to print, the printer says that it is "off line." I can print by connecting the printer directly to my computer. I also use the airport express with two Macs and it works fine. Suggestions?

Windows 7, Airport Express

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:36 AM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2015 2:35 PM in response to LSU Kid

Ping the Express by name and by IP address from the computer. Does it respond?

I presume the HP is plugged in by USB.

Not easy to work out problems in this kind of setup.. if ping works then I really don't have much in way of other suggestions.

Sometimes it is just windows.. and it is always worthwhile testing if you use wireless by ethernet direct to the express.

Remove the printer completely in windows and reinstall it.. particularly if you upgrade installed the OS.. I have little hope of that ever working.

Remove all firewalls and security software as a test.

Sep 8, 2015 7:42 AM in response to LaPastenague

I don't know how to "ping" the Express. When it comes to computers, I am the saddest. Some more info:

1. Printer connected via USB
  2. Ethernet connected to Airport Express
  3. Did not upgrade to Windows 7 - was on the computer I installed
  4. Removed and reinstalled the printer and Bonjour
  5. Turned off firewall and it didn't help

Since I can print when I connect directly to the computer and the Airport Express allows other computers to print, I suspect that something may be wrong with Bonjour but not able to figure it out.

Sep 8, 2015 1:03 PM in response to LSU Kid

Ping in PC environment.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737478(v=ws.10).aspx

The fact that bonjour has found the printer means it should ping.. so ping it. Most important is to ping by name.

Look up the name of the express in the airport utility which should be installed on your win7 PC.. it is always worth having this.

Open the command window and simply ping the express by name and IP.

If it fails.. how much time do you really want to waste on this.. because I assure you .. fixes will not be simple magic silver bullet.. (unless fired into the guts of printer which is then dumped in the ocean and you buy a new printer that has network).

You are trying to print to a device.. that has an IP.. make sure the IP never changes.. and then setup the printer port to the IP of the express.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTN1g846dRE

This video covers exactly how to do this.. it says extreme but the express is the same thing.

Next time you buy a printer.. buy a fully network capable printer.. it is not worth messing with USB.. USB is a local device.. and is not intended for network sharing. The cost difference these days is minor. A couple of sets of toners cost more than the printer.

Sep 10, 2015 9:22 AM in response to LaPastenague

Making little progress - learned how to "ping." I can ping the Airport Express by IP but not by name. I can ping the printer by name. I will have my son-in-law over on the weekend to help me with the workaround. He is much more computer-literate than I am.

Like your last suggestion (bullet and the ocean) but I am hard-headed. Thanks for you help and patience.

Why doen't windows 7 connect to HP printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.