Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Late 2006 MacBook so it will run icloud

This is a post to inform people about my experience rather than pose a specific question (which will follow):

1. I wanted to use my old MacBook laptop... needed access to icloud for it to be of any real use.

2. Informed by Genius bar/online search that I needed newer OS; upgraded to 10.6.8.

3. Needed to upgrade memory from the 2x512MB to 2GB (ie 2x 1GB) ... bought the right RAM from Crucial (fairly easy to see this using their website) and loaded it. MacBook working fine.

4. Looked for OSX Yosemite. Free download but when I clicked on it it said I couldnt download on this Mac. Wasted 30mins asking some idiot at Applecare why... For some reason late '06 Macbooks don't have the right hardware for Yosemite BUT 10.7.5 ie OSX Lion, will run iCloud.

5. Purchase OSX Lion ($19.99)... this means buying on the app store, getting a license, getting a code for the license so I could open the pdf, redeeming on the app store using the code embedded in the license...

Long, tedious and so far very time consuming and frustrating. And after all this I still need to ask someone why the app store said the software would download but I cannot see it downloading anywhere and when I enter the code in the app store again it of course says it's already been redeemed...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:15 PM

It's a few GBs. Most folks running SNow Leopard find that it has been quietly downloading in the background. When it completes the Installer will be in the Apps folder and it normally auto-opens and presents itself for installation.

Late 2012 Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 8.3

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 1:15 PM in response to GSW1

It's a few GBs. Most folks running SNow Leopard find that it has been quietly downloading in the background. When it completes the Installer will be in the Apps folder and it normally auto-opens and presents itself for installation.

Late 2012 Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 8.3

Sep 4, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Dah•veed

Thanks, having not had the updated iOS on my MacBook I hadnt realized the download comes through the App store. I was able to find this in the Applications in my Finder and am now downloading.

By the way, not sure where all these multiplemourned of hardware attached came from. My original post did not have them.

Upgrading Late 2006 MacBook so it will run icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.