Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing: Changing Head of Household

Hi,

Apologies if this question has already been asked - I've browsed the forums but haven't found a relevant answer.

Our family scenario is as follows:

I've got an iPad/iPhone with my own Apple ID

My wife has an iPad/iPhone with her own Apple ID

Our daughter has an iPad/iPhone with a child Apple ID, which is linked to my wife's via Family Sharing.

All 3 of us have the 3 month trial of Apple Music, but as individual members.

I want to consolidate all this so that I am head of a single Family Sharing household and both my wife and daughter are part of this. At the same time I'll subscribe to Apple Music using Family Sharing. I am aware that my credit card will be used to purchase all items from the App Store once I set this up, but this is fine.

My concern is what happens to music and apps already bought - will my wife and daughter lose anything that has previously been purchases using my wife's Apple ID once I add them to myself?

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 9:54 AM

1 reply

Sep 5, 2015 10:25 AM in response to olippold

Hi olippold,
No apologizes are necessary for your question about what happens when changing Family Sharing. That is something that I can help you out with to answer those questions.
Now the immediate question would be that they would not lose any content that they purchased under their Apple ID's. For example, if you daughter downloaded apps under her Apple ID and your wife approved her to download them, she will keep those. When you take over your daughters Apple ID, the only thing she will lose is content that your wife already downloaded and that will automatically happen to prevent any confusion.
Take a look at the article below for more information about what happens when you leave Family Sharing.
Leave Family Sharing
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201081

Because your daughters Apple ID is a child account, it will need to be transferred to you before your wife can disband her Family Sharing setup. Take a look at the next article for more details.
Transfer a child to a different family group
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201080

Let me know if you have any more questions on this and have a good day.

Family Sharing: Changing Head of Household

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.