Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to obtain open NAT (Type 1) for hardwired PS4 (PlayStation 4) using AirPort Extreme (ME918LL/A)

Hello fellow Apple users,

I am trying to obtain an open NAT (Type 1) for online gaming with my PS4 using an AirPort Extreme (ME918LL/A). My NAT type is currently moderate (Type 2) according to my PlayStation's "Test Internet Connection" function. My ISP is Comcast Xfinity (125.00 Mbps download, 12 Mbps upload, average of 20ms Ping) and I am also using their ARRIS TG1682G Gateway that is connected through ethernet port 1 directly to the WAN port of the AirPort Extreme. My PS4 is directly hardwired to an ethernet port on the AirPort Extreme.

Steps already taken to resolve problem:

1. Set the ARRIS TG1682G to BridgeMode to act as just a cable modem rather than a full blown Gateway (disables router portion of Xfinity's gateway).

2. Set a DHCP reservation for the PS4 through AirPort Utility with the IP assigned to the PS4 by the AirPort Extreme

3. Using AirPort Utility, under Network > Network Options... I have enabled default host at: the assigned IP address by the AirPort Extreme for the PS4

4. Reset/power cycled all devices

I am at a loss. Ideally I would like to just hardwire straight into the bridged Gateway and call it a day but only ethernet port 1 on the Gateway is active in BridgeMode (you can't have the best of both worlds with BridgeMode apparently :/). I believe I could remove the NAT all together from the AirPort extreme, but I am afraid that will put all of the other devices on the network at risk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you would like any additional information to help resolve my problem.

null-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 5:52 PM

What you want is not possible.

Open NAT on a PS4 means you have a public IP on the LAN port. ie No NAT router.

http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/how-to-change-your-nat-type-on-ps4-and-ps3/839

This is important to understand.

• NAT Type 1 (Open) – You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled. You shouldn’t run into any issues whilst gaming, but this may cause security issues.
  • NAT Type 2 (Moderate) –Your PS3/PS4 is connected properly and you shouldn’t run into any issues.
  • NAT Type 3 (Strict) – You may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

NAT 1 is possible if you buy a block of public IP on a business account.. that is a very expensive proposition nowadays.

1. Set the ARRIS TG1682G to BridgeMode to act as just a cable modem rather than a full blown Gateway (disables router portion of Xfinity's gateway).

Some Cable ISP used to give two public IP addresses..

Plug the PS4 into LAN port of the ARRIS .. in bridge is correct.

Plug the Apple router also into the ARRIS..

Power everything off.. start up the modem after 20min.. power up the PS4. It should capture the first public IP. You will now have Open NAT.

Power up the apple router.. and here is where the world will probably come to an end.

If you get a second Public IP.. congrats.. you are on a great system with a great ISP. Love them forever.

In most circumstances.. you will not have that happen but you might get IPv6 address.. which you can use .. depending on ISP.

Let me suggest you ring and talk to your ISP.. are they prepared to give you a second IP.. if not.. and you want to do other things than play games on your PS4.. then you have no choice but to accept what you have.

NAT Type 2 (Moderate) –Your PS3/PS4 is connected properly and you shouldn’t run into any issues.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 5:52 PM in response to iJeepX

What you want is not possible.

Open NAT on a PS4 means you have a public IP on the LAN port. ie No NAT router.

http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/how-to-change-your-nat-type-on-ps4-and-ps3/839

This is important to understand.

• NAT Type 1 (Open) – You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled. You shouldn’t run into any issues whilst gaming, but this may cause security issues.
  • NAT Type 2 (Moderate) –Your PS3/PS4 is connected properly and you shouldn’t run into any issues.
  • NAT Type 3 (Strict) – You may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

NAT 1 is possible if you buy a block of public IP on a business account.. that is a very expensive proposition nowadays.

Some Cable ISP used to give two public IP addresses..

Plug the PS4 into LAN port of the ARRIS .. in bridge is correct.

Plug the Apple router also into the ARRIS..

Power everything off.. start up the modem after 20min.. power up the PS4. It should capture the first public IP. You will now have Open NAT.

Power up the apple router.. and here is where the world will probably come to an end.

If you get a second Public IP.. congrats.. you are on a great system with a great ISP. Love them forever.

In most circumstances.. you will not have that happen but you might get IPv6 address.. which you can use .. depending on ISP.

Let me suggest you ring and talk to your ISP.. are they prepared to give you a second IP.. if not.. and you want to do other things than play games on your PS4.. then you have no choice but to accept what you have.

NAT Type 2 (Moderate) –Your PS3/PS4 is connected properly and you shouldn’t run into any issues.

Sep 4, 2015 5:52 PM in response to iJeepX

Open NAT is never obtained unless you have the PS4 connected directly to a simple modem. This is probably not feasible, since none of your other devices will be able to connect to the Internet if you do this.

The gateway that you have may or may not operate exactly the same as a simple modem. Not much that you can do about that other than take Comcast's word that it is working correctly.

I don't think that I've ever seen "Open" NAT when a gaming console is connected to a router, since a router connection will result in "Moderate NAT", about the best that you can ever hope for.

I believe I could remove the NAT all together from the AirPort extreme, but I am afraid that will put all of the other devices on the network at risk.

If you "turn off" NAT on the AirPort Extreme, then only one device on your network will be able to connect to the Internet. The other devices will be able to connect to the network, but they will not ever be able to connect to the Internet.

In addition, if you "turn off" NAT on the AirPort, then you will find that your Default Host disappears as well, since NAT must be enabled if you want to use the Default Host settings.

Trying to obtain open NAT (Type 1) for hardwired PS4 (PlayStation 4) using AirPort Extreme (ME918LL/A)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.