Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Home Hub and Airport Express

I have BT Home Hub and want to make the signal extend further with an Airport Express. How would I setup? I have plugged the airport express into a power supply and the express flashes amber. I have gone into airport utility and it does not "see" the airport express. Any suggestions?

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 3:16 AM

Which model of AirPort Express do you have? This one?

User uploaded file

Or, do does your model look like this?

User uploaded file

If this looks like your AirPort Express, there are several different versions that all appear the same, so you'll need to locate the model number of the device. The model number is located on the side of the device,and it starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.......somthing like A1264, A1084 or A1088, for example.

Next, you will need to plan to connect the Express to the BT Home Hub using an Ethernet cable.....which must be connected at all times. The Ethernet cable can be virtually any length that you want.

Finally, we don't know....and you do not indicate what type of device that you will be using to set up and configure the AirPort Express. If you will be using a Mac, we'll need to know what operating system it is using......if you want to have step by step setup instructions. If you do have a Mac, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 3:16 AM in response to St Paul Girl

Which model of AirPort Express do you have? This one?

User uploaded file

Or, do does your model look like this?

User uploaded file

If this looks like your AirPort Express, there are several different versions that all appear the same, so you'll need to locate the model number of the device. The model number is located on the side of the device,and it starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.......somthing like A1264, A1084 or A1088, for example.

Next, you will need to plan to connect the Express to the BT Home Hub using an Ethernet cable.....which must be connected at all times. The Ethernet cable can be virtually any length that you want.

Finally, we don't know....and you do not indicate what type of device that you will be using to set up and configure the AirPort Express. If you will be using a Mac, we'll need to know what operating system it is using......if you want to have step by step setup instructions. If you do have a Mac, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

Sep 5, 2015 3:21 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I have the first version of the airport express you showed. The model I think is A1392. Now (after connecting via ethernet cable to the home hub) the MAC sees the home hub and it's been reading the settings for over 20 minutes (that was after I entered the airport express password and it updated the software). But the airport express is still flashing amber. My MAC is OS Yosemite Version 10.10.1. Did you mean the Airport Express will always need to be connected via ethernet. I was hoping to put it in the middle of the house 3 rooms away from the Home Hub to extend the network.

Sep 5, 2015 6:59 AM in response to St Paul Girl

Did you mean the Airport Express will always need to be connected via ethernet.

I tried to make this clear when I said that.....

you will need to plan to connect the Express to the BT Home Hub using an Ethernet cable.....which must be connected at all times. The Ethernet cable can be virtually any length that you want.

So, to clarify......connected at all times would mean that the Expess will always need remain connected to the Home Hub this way. In other words, the Ethernet cable cannot be disconnected, if you want the AirPort Express to perform correctly.

IF.....you had another Apple router set up as your "main" router......instead of the Home Hub.....then, the AirPort Express could be configured to connect to the "main" AirPort wirelessly. In other words, to extend a network wirelessly, you always need two Apple routers.

I was hoping to put it in the middle of the house 3 rooms away from the Home Hub to extend the network.

I also noted that the Ethernet cable can be virtually any length that you need, so 3 rooms would not be a problem as far as length. Ethernet cabling can be run 300+ feet, or about 100 meters with no signal loss.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then you might be able to use a pair of Ethernet Over Powerline (EOP) adapters to send the Ethernet signal over the existing AC powerlines in your home. The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place....you just need the adapters. In practice, things do not always work as well as the theory suggests, so if you decide to try a pair, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policies in advance.

Any computer / electronics superstore will have a selection of EOP products, which are sometimes called Homeplug adapters as well. Ask the sales person there to recommend a brand that works well in your area.

When you have a good Ethernet connect established between the AirPort and the Home Hub, then we can work on gettting the AirPort to display a green light, which is what you want.

As far as Yosemite, you should update your Mac to the current version, which is 10.10.5, since there are some improvements and fixes in there.

BT Home Hub and Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.