Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrades Ram & Processor compatibility

Hi guys,

i have 13 inches mid 2009 Macbook pro OS X 10.8.5

It's been 5 years since that, and my mac is going bad. like Battery Replace Now, and newer Versions of Mac OS would slower my mac.

so i considered buying new Battery and upgrading Ram Memory and Processors , BTW i already have EX hard drive WD 500Gb.

so what do think about upgrading ram to 16Gb !? though it says Max is 4 or 8 i think!!!

link is here for Ram memory

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-DDR3L-1600-PC3-12800-CT2K8G3S160BM-CT2C8G3S160BM/d p/B008LTBJFW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid…

And Processor i would like to get Intel i7
link is here for Processor

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-4820K-FCLGA2011-Processor-Cache/dp/B00EMHM672/ref =dp_ob_title_ce

So are These Gonna work and are capable with my Macbook pro 13 inches mid 2009!?

Please your help, suggestions, and recommendations.

Note upgrading is must for me to keep my laptop for another 5 years ahead
BTW, What do think about Battery holding these New upgrades? Must the battery be just same specification or higher one thats capable!!?

Also motherboard ????

Thanks 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 13 inches mid 2009

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:30 PM

The maximum RAM that you MBP will accept is 8 GB with these specifications: 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM. The best sources of Mac compatible RAM are OWC and Crucial. 16 GB RAM will NOT work.

The CPU is an integral part of the logic board and cannot be changed.

What you might consider is installing a SSD in place of the HDD. It will improve the performance of the MBP significantly. OWC and Crucial are your best SSD options at this time. Avoid Samsung due to a number of problems reported by other users.

Ciao.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Medo Alrubaie

The maximum RAM that you MBP will accept is 8 GB with these specifications: 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM. The best sources of Mac compatible RAM are OWC and Crucial. 16 GB RAM will NOT work.

The CPU is an integral part of the logic board and cannot be changed.

What you might consider is installing a SSD in place of the HDD. It will improve the performance of the MBP significantly. OWC and Crucial are your best SSD options at this time. Avoid Samsung due to a number of problems reported by other users.

Ciao.

Sep 4, 2015 1:38 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Got you brother

So what about changing the Logic board then finding compatible parts for Ram and Intel i5 or i7 processor?

guide me through this compatibles? BTW will 2010 Logic Board or early 2011 fit my Mac!? like this in link!?

http://www.amazon.com/661-5869-661-6078-Logic-2-3GHz-I5-2415M/dp/B00NUCLBVC/ref= sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441398…

BTW, U might say buy new Mac instead of spending this much, but i live at Saudi Arabia which Mac brand are more expensive here than at US!

I already got mine from USA when i was studying there!

Thanks,,,

Sep 4, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Medo Alrubaie

Installing a logic board from the same model year may work. Other years, it is a high risk with no guarantees that the physical location of the connections will be the same. Second hand logic boards are not cheap and if the source is less than the best (ebay) it may or may not work to begin with. I got a logic board from Powerbookmedic.com for my 2006 MBP and it worked our well. iFixit.com is another reliable source.

Consider a good second hand MBP from a reliable source that has better specifications. I purchased a late 2011 17" MBP from OWC and it works flawlessly. They are a reputable firm so I felt confident with a 14 day return privilege and 90 warranty.

My recommendation is to install the 8GB RAM and an SSD and the MBP will respond better than when it was new. Replacing the logic board is simply too high a risk.

Ciao.

Upgrades Ram & Processor compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.