Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I sent a word and an excel document on a windows machine. They arrive here as a win.dat document. I have word and excel on the mac. how do I open these files on the mac?

I sent a word and an excel document on a windows machine. They arrive here as a win.dat document. I have word and excel on the mac. how do I open these files on the mac?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:52 AM

1 reply

Sep 6, 2015 9:47 AM in response to jgamble62

Hey jgamble62,

It sounds like rather than seeing the actual attachments in this email you see win.dat instead. According to the following article you should disable the setting to send emails as rich text:

If you get an email message with a winmail.dat attachment on your Mac

f you receive an email message sent from a Microsoft email app such as Outlook or Microsoft Exchange, the message might include an attachment with "winmail.dat" in the name. The attachment doesn't appear in the Microsoft email app, but it does appear in Mail, and in other apps it may appear as a MIME section named "application/ms-tnef."

This occurs when the sender composed a message that includes additional information about text attributes such as font, color, boldfacing, or underlining. To avoid seeing these attachments in the future, ask the sender to turn off the option in their email app to send the message in Microsoft rich text format. More information is available in Microsoft's description of the Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (TNEF).

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.