Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardrive space, Macbook air

My original plan in buying my macbook air was to use the Solid state drive for Programs and the operating system, and an external hard drive for media and other files. My computer has 99.25 GB of space taken up by other files filing it to the brim, when i have already sipped and placed all of the files I need into An external flash drive which was very little in the first place. Is my Hard drive just full of junk files that i need to empty and how do I get rid of all of it? If needs be I'm willing to start form a clean Slate of i can just re-download the operating system.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:17 PM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Dreadmonkey1

If you have Time Machine enabled but no backup drive connected most of the time, then your space may be taken up by About Time Machine local snapshots. It can also be used for storage from many other sources. Select About This Mac from the Apple Menu, click on Storage to see.

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks' Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Hardrive space, Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.