Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'd like to back up my MacBookPro for the first time with Seagate 3TB external drive. Should I use Time Machine and follow instructions?

Use Time Machine or something else with new external Seagate 3 TB drive for back up. Thinking I don't need to load any Seagate software to the external drive but not sure.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:23 PM

You do not need Seagate software, all you need to do is attach the drive, open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility then select the new external drive and choose Partition.

I would set the drive up with two partitions, just divide it in half...1.5 TB for each partition.

Click on the first partition, give it a name, something catchy like Backups, then take the default Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and GUID partition table options, then apply those to format the partition.

Do the same for the second partition but with a different name, of course, and when done, Quit Disk Utility.

Then go to System Preferences > Time Machine and turn it on, select the Backups partition as the destination, and let it do its thing. It will continue to work in the background periodically updating the backup with any new material you have.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 1:23 PM in response to BarbKonky

You do not need Seagate software, all you need to do is attach the drive, open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility then select the new external drive and choose Partition.

I would set the drive up with two partitions, just divide it in half...1.5 TB for each partition.

Click on the first partition, give it a name, something catchy like Backups, then take the default Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and GUID partition table options, then apply those to format the partition.

Do the same for the second partition but with a different name, of course, and when done, Quit Disk Utility.

Then go to System Preferences > Time Machine and turn it on, select the Backups partition as the destination, and let it do its thing. It will continue to work in the background periodically updating the backup with any new material you have.

I'd like to back up my MacBookPro for the first time with Seagate 3TB external drive. Should I use Time Machine and follow instructions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.