Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Repair on Macbook Pro with Retina Display?

Hi! Got a question here for ya, mind you this is my first mac, I'm a college student who only bought the computer for my design work, etc.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 16 gigs of RAM, 250 gig hard drive.

I bought it used off a wedding photographer so it came pre-loaded with a lot of good design and photography goodies, making it a good value, plus he only had it hooked up to another display so he didn't even use the keyboard or screen while he had it.

So I bought this last year when I started college, and it's served me well. Very fast, very nice, good resolution, powerhouse processor. I have a laptop case for it but it's not the highest quality.

The last day of school this year (how ironic) my backpack strap snapped while I was one-strapping it (carrying it by only one strap) and it dropped on the concrete with my laptop in it.

Thankfully there isn't a TON of damage. The CPU still works just fine, no issues there, thank god. but the upper right of the screen (past the actual screen and on the black-bar area surrounding it, whatever that's called.) has a couple contained cracks, very small, from the impact. The entirety of the cracks only spans a centimeter and it's not the kind that would spread for no reason.

However, there is one sign of damage that has occurred on my actual screen. A bar, a single pixel in height, spans horizontally along the top of my desktop. It doesn't do much and disappears sometimes. Aside from that, occasionally the side of my screen will flicker softly and then just...stop flickering. And for a little while the area near the crack described earlier on the upper righthand side of my laptop, the pixels nearest to it would tint the screen pink or green and then fade back to normal. It hasn't done that for a couple months but...thought I should mention it.

Is this something I need to be worried about? Is it worth the repair or should I just stick it out through college? I really don't mind it but I worry. Should I buy a safer laptop case? I'm already thinking about buying a shock-absorbant, waterproof backpack (my old backpack is trashed)

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:32 PM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Kappy

I think there is some risk that it might stop working at an arbitrary time.

Kappy is giving you good advice to get a free evaluation at the Genius Bar, if possible, and ask them. Be sure to ask about worst case TIME for a repair, should you need a repair on short notice. It will need to be repaired eventually, and now may be better than during exam week.

I would also be concerned that you were religiously making Backups, and if your Hard Drive suddenly stopped working, you could recover from that.

Screen Repair on Macbook Pro with Retina Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.