Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

synching iPhone 6, iCloud/laptop for overseas travel

I have a family member who is traveling overseas and needs to restore her phone to have it unlocked so she can use it in Europe. We need to sync all her contacts so that she can resync when her phone is restored and wiped clean. I haven't done this via iCloud. She is thinking of synching to iCloud and then downloading and resynching all her data when the phone is restored.

Does she have to remain on the cloud in order for the data to remain on her phone? We haven't use iCloud. I told her no, but she wanted me to confirm this, so here I am to check and ask others.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 5:38 PM

She can sync contacts to iCloud by turning on Settings > iCloud > Contacts.

She can verify that they are in fact on iCloud by using a computer and logging in to https://www.icloud.com

She doesn't need to remain connected to iCloud.

When she sets up the phone again she can go to Settings > iCloud > Contacts and turn it on again and the contacts should automatically sync to her phone.

In addition to syncing contacts she may want to do a backup of the phone to iCloud: How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

She can then later use the following instructions to restore: iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 5:38 PM in response to Maina'

She can sync contacts to iCloud by turning on Settings > iCloud > Contacts.

She can verify that they are in fact on iCloud by using a computer and logging in to https://www.icloud.com

She doesn't need to remain connected to iCloud.

When she sets up the phone again she can go to Settings > iCloud > Contacts and turn it on again and the contacts should automatically sync to her phone.

In addition to syncing contacts she may want to do a backup of the phone to iCloud: How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

She can then later use the following instructions to restore: iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

Sep 4, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Maina'

I don't know why she would want to do that. If her phone is ever lost or if it breaks (software or hardware problem), having it continue to sync to iCloud would mean that she would always have an up to date copy of her contacts. But if she insists, first go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Contacts and then go to iCloud.com and delete.

synching iPhone 6, iCloud/laptop for overseas travel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.