Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library shared across multiple computers

Hi, I've got one of those problems which is either really easy or impossible to solve.

Setup Overview:

-1 Server (Windows 7, HP Microserver, always on)

-1 Desktop PC (Also Windows 7)

-Variety of apple devices (phones, iPods, iPads etc.) which require syncing.

Current setup:

-Music is stored on a share on my server, along with the iTunes library and associated files

-iTunes is running on the desktop PC, and has been configured to connect to the library on the fileshare

-Devices are connected to the desktop PC when syncing/backup is required

Ideal setup:

-I'd like to have a shared library which is perfectly in sync between the desktop PC and the Server

-I'd like iTunes to be running on the server 24x7 as I ultimately want my phone to back up and sync over wifi when plugged in to charge overnight

-When 'messing about' with the library (adding new songs, changing track names, adding album art etc. etc.) I'd like to use my desktop as it's much nicer to interact with than a remote desktop connection

-I'd like to be able to connect my apple devices to either computer for syncing and backup purposes.

I first tried something like this a long time ago, and corrupted my library. From what I read, 2 computers accessing a single library is/was bad. I'm aware that there have been a number of changes over the years with new features and services (Match, ability to make libraries portable, music sharing etc. etc.). so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to achieve my ideal setup. However, I've read about each of the features and I'm not convinced any will actually achieve what I want.

If anyone can offer me some pointers I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:26 PM

1 reply

iTunes Library shared across multiple computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.