Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hyperlinks not preserved when export to pdf

Whenever I export a document (pages, ibooks author, word, etc) to a pdf, the links that are in the document are not preserved. I have a friend who is able to export these files just fine. Any idea what might be going on? Settings I need to change?

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.5

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 3:34 PM

5 replies

Nov 3, 2015 10:04 AM in response to vandan

This sounds like the same problem I have. I put links from the contents page to chapters, and at the end of each page I have a link back to the contents page. If someone tries to read the pdf on a PC, these internal links do not work. A message appears saying that it is trying to link through iBooks.

This problem has been driving me crazy - I've got used to using iBooks author, and like it. Now I'm having to go back to using MSWord to make a pdf that others can read. But the formatting in MSWord is not flexible enough for my purpose - and whichever program I use, I end up wanting to scream and throw the computer out the window!

Nov 3, 2015 10:40 PM in response to Annicola

I spoke to apple support and was told when exporting an iBook to pdf only links to outside webpages will work. If you want the links within the book to work in pdf format you must use Adobe Acrobat to recreate them.

I hate using any Adobe product, but fortunately I was able to purchase a copy of acrobat through OETC, a consortium that offers steep discounts to educators. I haven't received the copy yet, so I can't tell you how the process of recreating the links went.

Nov 4, 2015 1:49 AM in response to vandan

Thank you for this information. I do not have any wish to have the additional costs of other Adobe products (I use Lightroom for my photography), and will have to look for another solution.

It is very annoying that there is no indication of this problem in any of the help documentation I have seen on Apple's website, otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever considered using iBooks Author.

hyperlinks not preserved when export to pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.