Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time capsule keeps losing internet connection.

I have a (server provided) modem connected with cable directly to the time capsule (they are sitting side-by-side). The time capsule is less than 3 years old (not sure of exact model at the moment). We use the time capsule as our router/ wifi connection for 2 computers, Apple TV, and several iPads and iPhones. Although we can go for months without having to reset, quite often the time capsule loses internet connection. Over the last few weeks this has progressed where I may have to unplug/reset a few times each day. My internet provider has said that the signal from their end appears to be working fine. The only way for me to regain internet is to completely unplug both the time capsule and the modem and all the connections, wait a minute, then slowly reconnect power & cables. I have no other connection point for my modem-to-time-capsule so I cannot move it to another part of the house. Since there have been times where we have gone months without this happening, I assume this is not an interference issue. Can you please help me resolve this issue?

null-OTHER

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:18 PM

9 replies

Sep 4, 2015 2:15 PM in response to cadin canada

We need actual models.

So look on the base of your cable modem.. wherever the name plate is and give us the model.

Also need the model of the TC.. less than 3 years.. it should be Gen4 or Gen5 latest one which is tall.

Look at the paper label .. it should show A1409 for Gen4. It is important.

Assuming Gen4.

Let me suggest a full factory reset.. and reconfigure of it.

Completely new names and everything. And a downgrade of firmware.

Gen4 are proving to be unreliable.. and if it is over 3 years .. by a day.. it is out of all warranty.. but if less as you say.. it is possibly still under applecare if you have any.. or you have a computer or apple TV that is still under normal warranty and the TC was purchased less than 2 years before.. Apple will then replace the TC if faulty.

Are the computers on Yosemite? It can have effects on the whole network.

Give us the info and we can move forward from there.

Sep 5, 2015 9:49 AM in response to LaPastenague

I have a Motorola modem, provided by Shaw, model SB5101

My TC is not the tower style, but sits flat - a large square shape. The model number is A1409

Our computers are definitely more than 2 years, - I will have to see if I can find my receipts to be sure of how many years we've had the TC and the apple TV. Both maybe be over the 2-year mark.

And sorry for my ignorance - I"m not very computer literate these days - is Yosemite the internet/search? I'm using Safari….

Sep 5, 2015 10:07 AM in response to cadin canada

SB5101 is an older modem.....probably at least 5 years.....which does not even support modern Docsis 3.0 connections that were introduced at least 5 years ago..

Before you try to troubleshoot any of the Apple products, please contact Shaw for a new modem, since you should always replace any modem that is 5 years old, or a modem does not incorporate up to date connection settings.

If you have not replaced the Ethernet cable that connects the modem to the TC in a few years, now would be a good time to do that as well.

Sep 5, 2015 10:12 AM in response to cadin canada

We were only set up with this modem in Dec 2012 so we've had it for not quite 3 years. I'm surprised to hear that it is an older model, especially since I've called our service provider many times when I have these issues. I will definitely give them a call back. Thank you for the info, I will post a note again once I've talked to them.

Sep 5, 2015 10:21 AM in response to cadin canada

Docsis 3.0 modems were available 5 years ago, so you should have received an up to date modem if you called your provider at any time in the last 4-5 years.

Be sure to specify that you want an up to date Docsis 3.0 modem.

A new modem will not necessarily solve your connection issues by itself....but it might....and it will give you a good starting point on which to build.

Sep 11, 2015 1:52 PM in response to cadin canada

Good luck with the new modem.

If you notice that things start to act up, then we'll need to get the make and model number of the "new" modem that you have to understand more about the product.

We will also need to know what operating system that you are using on your Mac computers.....assuming that you are using Mac computers. If you are not sure what operating system your Mac might be using, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and look for the OS X Version number there.

Sep 28, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Just wanted to give you an update that so far things have been good with the new modem. Only once (within the first 24hrs) have I had to reset the connection and since then has been working well and not lost connection (knock on wood!). The only issue we've had, which I don't think is related, but a few days after we started using the new modem, our upstairs tv/speakers stopped getting sound. The tv picture works fine, but no sound is going through the speakers - not for shows/movies, dvd, or even trying to airplay music. So strange. Our second tv in the basement is getting the picture and sound fine so I'm sure this is a new and unrelated issue. At least we seem to have good connection now! 🙂

Thanks so much for all the help and suggestion above.

My time capsule keeps losing internet connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.