Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a great monthly maintenance routine for optimal performance? Looking to optimize my MacBook Pro 2010 for audio and visual creation.

I'm looking to get into a habit of cleaning up things on my mac in order for it to run smoothly and without error. What are some great tips for things to do, or clear, in order to have my mac running efficiently and fast? I've already done most of the simple things, like disabling features I do not use, and storing excessive data on an external harddrive. I'm wondering there are some monthly things I should be doing in order to optimise my Mac!

Thank you in advance for any information!

-Arthur

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), iOS 8.4.1, Yosemite 10.10.4

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:52 PM

There is one very simple thing you should do, and that is leave it alone. Macs don't need 'defragging' or 'cleaning up' or 'optimizing' - there are programs which offer this sort of thing and they mostly do more harm than good (and some of them are close to being malware). Macs have built-in procedures for looking after themselves and you've already done the few things you can do yourself. Incidentally, don't be tempted to delete any program which is part of the system, such as iTunes or Quicktime - doing so can lead to unexpected problems.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 2:52 PM in response to aslucena

There is one very simple thing you should do, and that is leave it alone. Macs don't need 'defragging' or 'cleaning up' or 'optimizing' - there are programs which offer this sort of thing and they mostly do more harm than good (and some of them are close to being malware). Macs have built-in procedures for looking after themselves and you've already done the few things you can do yourself. Incidentally, don't be tempted to delete any program which is part of the system, such as iTunes or Quicktime - doing so can lead to unexpected problems.

Sep 4, 2015 2:59 PM in response to aslucena

None you need to do. There is no need to "optimize" the computer. Just use it sensibly. Don't run more concurrent applications than is supported by the installed RAM. Maintain at least 20 GBs of free space on the disk drive. Avoid third-party add-ons you really don't need. Don't install software you don't know how to uninstall. Don't install anything unless you know exactly what it does. Don't delete files unless you know the consequences of doing so - stay away from system files.

What is a great monthly maintenance routine for optimal performance? Looking to optimize my MacBook Pro 2010 for audio and visual creation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.