Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express has active connection, but shows no connection in Airport Utility

Experiencing an issue with my Airport Express A1392. Airport Utility shows I have an active Internet connection, but two status errors for the Airport Express. As shown in the screenshot, the AE prompts that it does not have an internet connection and no DNS servers. My Macbook Pro connects to the AE over wifi and the connection works fine (but shows the described status issues and light remains orange on the unit), but no iOS devices will connect to the network.

I've reset the AE to factory settings numerous times and cycled my modem.

User uploaded file

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:11 PM

5 replies

Sep 4, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Bwhitta

Power off the modem by pulling the power cord from the back of the device, or unplug the power supply from the AC wall jack.

Disconnect the co-ax cable and Ethernet cable from the modem

Leave the modem powered off for at least 30 minutes. Longer will not hurt.

Although you have done this before, reset the AirPort Express back to factory default settings. You can do this by holding in the reset button for 7-8 seconds while the Express is powered on, then release and allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Then, power off the AirPort Express

After waiting at least 30 minutes for the modem power down.....(to allow the connections back at the cable to fully reset, so they can issue a new fresh IP address)......connect the co-ax cable to the modem and connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express.

Power up the modem and let it run for at least 10 minutes by itself.....longer will not hurt

Then, power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a few minutes

Set up the Express again and report on your results

Sep 4, 2015 8:10 PM in response to Bwhitta

Nice work. I'm going to take a guess and say that you were not leaving the modem powered off nearly long enough to allow the cable company's equipment to fully reset, so you never really got a new, fresh connection and IP address.....which meant that the AirPort Express never configured itself correctly.

There are a lot of users who maintain that you only need to power down the modem for a few seconds or a minute to allow it to reset. Now, I think you know that this is not the case at all.

Airport Express has active connection, but shows no connection in Airport Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.