Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software update not working in 10.6.8

Trying to do a software update on my wife's 2010 MacBook Pro. She has 17 items to update!. The screen tells me to restart and after 4 trys it just restarts and nothing happens. When I check software update the 17 items are still there to be updated. Any ideas? I want to do a backup but want to get everything updated before I do. Thanks

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 3:19 PM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Bill Adams

You do the backup before you update in case the updates make a mess of things. I also consider 17 updates too rich a diet and more likely to cause problems if all applied in one go. It is also harder to trace the cause of problems should they arise. Personally I don't use Software Update. I download hte updates from Apple's web site and apply them under controlled conditions.

Sep 4, 2015 3:38 PM in response to Limnos

I think you are correct. I am looking for updates on Apple's site. I have this laptop backed already with Time Machine but as you can tell it has been a while!! Mine is backed up daily but sometimes I cannot get it out of her hands long enough to work with it. She got a new MacBook Pro yesterday so now I have all the access I need. Thank you.

software update not working in 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.