Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having just set up family sharing I have selected the wrong year for my child and my 10 year old is now only 4 months old, how can I reset it please?

Just set up family sharing and I have entered the wrong dob, can I change it?

iPhone 3GS (8GB)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:42 AM

I'm afraid you can't change the date of birth for persons under the age of 13.

7 replies

Sep 7, 2015 3:27 PM in response to alroger

Hi, I had a similar problem and in the end I finally undid the damage. I created an apple id for my daughter before the "Family Share" concept came about. Since she already had an apple id, I didn´t use the option to create an id via icloud. When you created a new apple id you only entered the month and day - no year - and I thought entering a birthdate back then was optional (could be wrong).

Set up home sharing with "Ask to Buy" and hated the whole home sharing setup. So I deleted her and turned it off my phone as well. We couldn´t purchase any apps on her phone anymore because it was still requiring that she ask for permission first and other error messages followed about icloud.

I spoke with many "Geniuses" in the Apple store at least 6 or 7 on three different days for many many hours - nothing worked and they said we would juset have to wait until she turned 18years or get her another apple id.

I think this is how I fixed it. Logged into the apple id account and changed her birthday to where she was older than 18.....i think 30 years to be on safe side. I thought this would help but Apple still saw her appleid as being 6years despite account showing age 30yr. I went back and turned on "Family Share" and added her account. I removed the "Ask to Buy" option and double checked her birthdate again. Then I removed her from family share as 30 year old and not 6years. Turned off family share from my account. Changed her age to something just low enough that she could install Netflix because of Restrictions option.

Mar 8, 2016 8:19 PM in response to KunMeg

Apple really needs to change the way minor's accounts are handled. You shouldn't have to supply a birth date for your child or ward.

We don't want to provide any personal information about our child which violates their privacy.

A parent should be able to create an account and merely check a box stating the account is for a minor and all resets, purchases, and restrictions should be handled by the parent's account. This would be extremely easy for Apple to implement.

Mar 9, 2016 1:34 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

And how exactly does it do that, all I see your suggestion doing is depriving them of the choices they are legally entitled to at a certain age in respect of your control over them and a potential future invasion of privacy from you.

Winston:

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here but if you don't mind, we'll raise our child the way we want and you can raise your child the way you want.

When our child gets a little older and wants an email account of their own, it's likely we'll give that to them. Hopefully by that time (in a couple of years or so), things will have changed in favor of privacy. In the meantime why give Apple demographic information that might be misused by some other business that is a partner. (It's happened). Or by a hacker (that's happened too).

I can do a search on most friends and determine their age, addresses, and phone numbers they have or have had previously. They could do a search on me and they would not be able to find much and what they would find would be so far off they would know it likely wasn't me. Only because I had the tiniest bit of foresight many years ago to deliberately provide bogus information. Many of my friends didn't and so their information is all over the web. Maybe it's ok for you and that's fine and good for you. For me, I don't like it and will continue to resist public disclosure of what I consider private information.

Thanks for you comment.

Mar 9, 2016 1:47 AM in response to Jon P

we'll raise our child the way we want and you can raise your child the way you want.

I'm not telling you how to raise your child, i'm giving you a reason that you should have to provide an age.

When our child gets a little older and wants an email account of their own, it's likely we'll give that to them.

And therein is exactly why you need to give an age. When they reach a certain age, it's up to them what they do not you, any system that gives you the power to interfere with that would be abhorrent. If there is no age, at what point can the account become a stand alone account in it's own right, if you are about to say when the parent decides to let them and uncheck that box, please don't, that's exactly what is wrong with your idea, it takes away the individuals rights. I'm not suggesting for a moment you would do anything wrong, but your system would allow you to if you so wished.

Having just set up family sharing I have selected the wrong year for my child and my 10 year old is now only 4 months old, how can I reset it please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.