Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In MS Word, "delete previous action" is command-Z, and "repeat previous action" is command-Y. What is "repeat previous action" on Mac OS X?

In MS Word, "undo previous action" is command-Z, and "repeat previous command" is command-Y. What is "repeat previous command" on Mac OS X?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 2:59 PM

8 replies

Sep 4, 2015 5:25 PM in response to Kappy

All right. I thought they were going to different groups, as per the category name required, and I was attempting to maximize my chances of getting a reply from one of the three areas in which I posted the question: Numbers, Pages, and MacPro. There is also the chance that the answers may be different with respect to these three environments. I shall be happy to see if I am able to find anything out that would clarify this one small point.

Sep 4, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Hovawart

I'm sorry if my question was confusing. I was attempting to draw a parallel between the keyboard shortcut in the Windows environment and the keyboards shortcut in the Mac environment, as there are so many similar keyboard shortcuts. In Windows, control-Z undoes the latest command, and in Mac, command-Z does the same. However, I cannot figure out how to do the opposite, which is to repeat the command, in the Macintosh environment, although I know how to do it in Windows (Control-Y).

Sep 4, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Kappy

I do not see a "do it again in this next case" type of command. For example: If I make a formatting change in one area, and then decide I want to do it in many, but not all, of the rest of the document, I have the usual expedient in Windows of using Control-Y, which means, yes, do that action again here. That is the command for which I am seeking.

Sep 4, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Hovawart

The beauty of the Macintosh Interface is that all your choices are laid out in commands available on Menus. This makes it the most friendly and helpful Interface available on any computer available today.

Many commands also have their keyboard shortcut listed next to them, so that expert Users are not slowed down by the mouse. If they are willing to clutter their brains with the keyboard shortcuts they want to use most often, they can bypass the mouse and move more briskly through program choices.

If you want to know what a program can do, and how to do it, look at the commands shown on the Menus. As Kappy has already said, the ones you seek are likely to be on the Edit Menu. Undo and Redo are top candidates. In some Mac programs, Undo toggles itself into Re-do, so that immediately after Undo, you may move the cursor and Re-do. In other programs these functions may be completely separate, and may be assigned different shortcuts.

Once you have assured yourself what the Commands will do for you, then you can memorize the shortcuts, if you wish.

Only someone in your EXACT situation will already know what the shortcuts are and exactly how that compares to the PC version. Finding that person here is just not very likely.

In MS Word, "delete previous action" is command-Z, and "repeat previous action" is command-Y. What is "repeat previous action" on Mac OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.