Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't download properly on my iPad2.

i've tried all the advice here, deleting and restoring the account, closing the app, rebooting the iPad but nothing worked. i just get a sort of ghost page with icons along the top, nothing else.

iPad 2, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 10:14 AM

To correct a possibly corrupted iOS or App perform a full Reset as described in the article below. Please make sure to follow the directions as shown, specifically to backup the phone to iTunes first as described in the article. This process will take you about 30-60 minutes.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Aominedinburgh

To correct a possibly corrupted iOS or App perform a full Reset as described in the article below. Please make sure to follow the directions as shown, specifically to backup the phone to iTunes first as described in the article. This process will take you about 30-60 minutes.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Sep 5, 2015 10:14 AM in response to elcpu

I followed the instructions in the article and it worked but with one MAJOR glitch along the way. Somehow my backup became encrypted, without me setting a password! The system keep asking for a password to allow me to access the backup but I didn't have one. So in the end I had to delete my backup and set up my iPad again from scratch, as a new iPad. So I lost a lot of stuff, though of course I can retrieve a lot of it, like audiobooks and music. I

Sep 5, 2015 10:36 AM in response to Aominedinburgh

I am sorry that this happened to you. When you do the next backup make sure you do not select the option to encrypt the backup directly underneath "This Computer" on the Summary Page. I have never encrypted my backups and do not what PW it would use but I suspect it might be your Apple ID PW. Cannot explain how this would happen by itself without that option selected, it has never happened to me...

Sep 5, 2015 1:05 PM in response to elcpu

I don't know how it happened. I didn't set out to encrypt it, I didn't realise it was happening. Could it have been set to encrypt as default? I was never offered an opportunity to set a password - if the system had offered the opportunity I would probably have realised what was happening. I tried using my Apple ID password, but it wasn't accepted. The box just said Password. No explanation. It must have been set to encrypt already and I didn't notice.

Sep 5, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Aominedinburgh

My comments in blue below.

Aominedinburgh wrote:

I don't know how it happened. I didn't set out to encrypt it, I didn't realise it was happening. Could it have been set to encrypt as default? Yes.

I was never offered an opportunity to set a password - if the system had offered the opportunity I would probably have realised what was happening. I tried using my Apple ID password, but it wasn't accepted. The box just said Password. No explanation. It must have been set to encrypt already and I didn't notice. Likely so, see article below.

Please read this article, particularly the later part. It looks to me like you have a new "problem" now as your backups will always be encrypted from now on unless you completely Restore your iPad from scratch, a time consuming process.

About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support

To Restore the iPad:

Mail won't download properly on my iPad2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.