Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical cell alignment

Hi,

I'm trying to create a table that is consistent with APA formatting guidelines using Word for Mac 2011. It's all great except that I cannot get the text to vertically align in the table cells. The centre button in the cell tab of the table properties dialogue box just won't work! I have also checked that before and after spacing are the same in the paragraph format dialogue box (not sure if that's relevant but it seemed worth trying).

I have a feeling the problem might have something to do with double spacing, which I have no option but to use. Can someone please help?

Brooke.

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 9:10 PM

You might try asking your Office for Mac question in the Office for Mac forums located here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac

5 replies

Sep 5, 2015 9:10 PM in response to brooke_au

Hi, Brooke, Tables in MS Word can be tricky

(1) Try this first

Select the cell(s) and do a right click and see if you can get some control over the cell(s)' behavior. See pic below

User uploaded file

(2) When all else fails, make a back of your file

Open up the file, select the contents of your table

then in a new document try doing paste special and paste as unformatted text

select the text

then convert text to table using your delimiters (tabs, for example)

then see if it cleans up. If so copy, replace the table in your document.

Sep 5, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Sparkleberry

Hi Sparkleberry,

Thanks very much for your help and I love your avatar - "no cat gets left behind":-).

Unfortunately neither option seems to work. From what I gather the only way to address vertical cell alignment in Word for Mac 2011 is to add space at the top of the cell. This explains it better than I can:

Vertical cell alignment in Word for Mac 2011

Thanks again.

Brooke.

Vertical cell alignment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.