Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating 'wind', 'breezes'?

I'm a filmmaker always in search of good sound FX.

I used to have a patch on an old Roland keyboard that would allow me to create wonderful clean 'wind' and 'breezes' effects. I'm looking at all the synths now in Logic ... and wondering if there is a formula for creating that wonderfully modulated 'white noise' that sounds just like wind? And how I might do it?

All ears,

Ben

MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 6:00 AM

I Don't have logic open in front of me to tell you exactly, but the ES2 synth works well. Turn off the oscillators except one and set the waveform to noise. Set the adsr of the filter and amplitude to start and finish the sound at a comfortable rate. Record a midi note for the duration of the scene. You will need to enable nmidi chase in project settings. Then plug in a channel eq. Lo cut to about 250hz and hi cut to about 4k or to taste. Sweep a bell filter with a narrow Q, maybe 5 or 10. You can automate both the frequency and gain of the filter to make the wind whistle. This works especially well between lines of dialogue, etc. You can also automate the lo cut and hi cut to add a bit more variation. You could also plug in a gentle distortion plug in just ticking over to add a bit more grumble. Finally I would often send it to a subtle stereo delay to spread it out a bit. Make the delay time of each side a little different. You could try putting the delay in the rears. That works depending on the genre.

GOod if luck with that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Ben Low

I Don't have logic open in front of me to tell you exactly, but the ES2 synth works well. Turn off the oscillators except one and set the waveform to noise. Set the adsr of the filter and amplitude to start and finish the sound at a comfortable rate. Record a midi note for the duration of the scene. You will need to enable nmidi chase in project settings. Then plug in a channel eq. Lo cut to about 250hz and hi cut to about 4k or to taste. Sweep a bell filter with a narrow Q, maybe 5 or 10. You can automate both the frequency and gain of the filter to make the wind whistle. This works especially well between lines of dialogue, etc. You can also automate the lo cut and hi cut to add a bit more variation. You could also plug in a gentle distortion plug in just ticking over to add a bit more grumble. Finally I would often send it to a subtle stereo delay to spread it out a bit. Make the delay time of each side a little different. You could try putting the delay in the rears. That works depending on the genre.

GOod if luck with that.

Sep 7, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Ben Low

Hi again. Now I have logic in front of me, I just opened the default ES2, turned off oscillators 1 and 2, changed o/c 3 to noise, tweaked the ADSR of filter and amplitude, and plugged in the eq. I was wrong about the Q factor for the bell filter. 2.5 seems heaps. Note the second bump in the frequency graph. That's from the hi cut filter with a Q of 4.5 to make it resonate a bit, just like the old minimoog, which was my fav noise machine for many years. Sweep the frequency settings of both the bell filter and the hi cut filter with automation to make the wind sing. It's a beautiful thing.

Enjoy!

User uploaded file

Creating 'wind', 'breezes'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.