Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Printer in Mac O.S

greeting,

I bought a HP Deskjet 1515 printer model, is connected to my Windows Vista. The computer of my father which is a mac book pro O.S.X 10.9.5, recognized the printer but not printed. I download the drivers, and the error message still appears "Unable to start the job"

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 5:55 PM

8 replies

Sep 4, 2015 6:11 PM in response to Legarad

The only connection listed for that Printer is:

Connectivity, standard

1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0

If you are leaving it connected to a PC, then you need to use Windows Printing to access it, because the Windows computer will be accessing it directly. This article, AND the additional article it links to, may provide some insights:

Mac OS X: Cannot locate a shared Windows printer - Apple Support

Sep 5, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Legarad

you could try using GutenPrint or Gimp Print. I'm presuming you set up the printer correctly here--you need to have LPD protocol turned on, on your windows PC. go to start, control panels, program, turn features on or off, click the + sign next to print/document services, place check mark next to LPD print service item, click okay, restart PC. and you have to turn on printer sharing on the PC. again, go to start, then device and printers, right click on the hp printer, and choose printer properties, click sharing tab, place check mark next to share this printer, give it a name. remember it. place check mark next to render print jobs on client computers item, click okay. Get Windows IP address:start, control panels, click videw network stats, click local area connection, in Local Area Connection status window, click Details, write down entry for IPv4 address. on the Mac side go to system preferences, then print and fax, click on the + sign, add printer, unless you see an "Advanced" icon, in which case, skip the previous stuff. right click toolbar and select customize toolbar, drag advanced icon from palette to add printer window's toolbar, click done, click on advance icon in toolbar, in type dropdown menu, choose LPD/LPR host or printer, in URL field, enter IP address of the printer and the printer's name in this format:

lpd://IP Adddress/Shared Printer name

Use Print Using and choose generic Postscript or Generic PCL printer driver. If you have one already installed, you can use that one. Click add.

you should be done. you can make a test print by going to print and fax, click once on the printer, in right hand side of print and fax preferences pane, click "Open Print Queue and then from menu, choose printer, then Print test page....it should now work

Whew !!

hope that helps you a bit

John b

Sep 5, 2015 7:38 PM in response to Legarad

The problem is not solved. And I finished all suggestions. Except that comment user JohnB-one, the reason is that my parents do not want to install unsupported programs.

Grant Bennet-Alder and kaz-k, its solution is almost perfect, both connecting the printer, but the Mac Book Pro not finish sending the file. Even I do not find any error.

Windows Printer in Mac O.S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.