Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to block internet access on my computer

I'm surfing the web too much and it is distracting me from my work. If I could somehow block access to the internet and then come up with some very long password to unlock it and then hide the password, that would really help things. I have already tried the solution where I have my computer divided into an admin and a user and the admin blocks the apps of the user but that solution has a lot of problems with it. I have to log out of the user and log into the admin and that takes too much time. If there was just some way to make it so that network preferences could only be changed with password that would do it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 7:18 PM

5 replies

Sep 4, 2015 8:23 PM in response to kyle76

To eliminate all distractions I would temporarily disable the network card with the command line using admin privileges. From a terminal window:

Disable with: "sudo ifconfig en0/en1 down" (that's a zero)

Enable with: "sudo ifconfig en0/en1 up"

Use the appropriate interface; typically en0= wired connection, en1= wireless. Ultimately it comes down to will power of not using it out of habit, as any method is easily turned off especially if you're the one setting it up.

Sep 4, 2015 8:50 PM in response to Rick Blythin

Is there anyway that I can program a password into the terminal? That way I can hide the password some place far from my computer. If I have the password written down far away that does a lot to limit my usage. As far as willpower goes, I've been trying to limit my internet usage since 2009. Admittedly, I've improved since 2009 but I've decided that I'll never get to point I want.

Sep 5, 2015 8:21 AM in response to kyle76

kyle76 wrote:

It does have to do with apple products because I'm trying to program my apple computer to shut the internet off.

Give your Apple computer to someone else then go borrow it when you need to legitimately get online.

Think about professional help for your addiction if you need to go to these extremes to prevent yourself from getting online. Otherwise use a little willpower.

I want to block internet access on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.