Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fluctuating wifi signal

I recently purchased the latest gen AirPort Extreme in the hopes that i could boost my wifi signal throughout my house. i have various devices (iPhone, galaxy 6 edge, 2 iPads, macbook pro, PS4, windows HP laptop and a smart tv) that connect to it. I was using a Netgear N900 that seemed to do the trick until we started adding the myriad of devices to it...hence the purchase of the Aiport. Though i do have a connection and haven't lost it, the signal strength fluctuates back and forth from 2 wifi bars up to full and back on my devices. The airport is in the room directly above where my PS4 sits and I'm currently sitting here watching the signal strength go from 70% to 76% with dips into the 60s. The old Netgear router gave me a constant strength of 90% plus. Also, when I run the test internet function on the PS4, I'm now getting anywhere from 6-8 Mbps where right before i unhooked the old router it was giving me 17mbps on the download stream. Using the airport utility, its telling me the my PS4 is currently getting 34mbps (it was over 100 a minute ago). I'm not sure why the disparity or why everything is fluctuating. I've tried changing channels to alleviate possible interference but to no avail. I have to believe that something is not set right otherwise i just paid $179 for a router that gives me fraction of what my old one did. Any help on this would be appreciated. If anyone needs more info, please advise. I'm not an IT guy but ill do my best. thanks in advance.

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 9:39 PM

6 replies

Sep 4, 2015 10:02 PM in response to ravensrage

If you are still in the 2weeks return period.. I would just return the AE.. they are not noted as good wireless routers where you need lots of signal.

Measuring on a PS4 is a bit hard but shows the problem of how Apple routers are plainly unsuited to non-apple gear.

Buy a Netgear R7000 or Asus RT-AC68U

If you have passed that point.. still take it back to the store for checking .. some have wireless issues.. and should be replaced.

If you are truly stuck.. we can start trying the normal set of fixes.. but most of it you have probably already done.

What modem exactly are you running.. we find some modems can be major problems.

Here is what I recommend for setup with Yosemite.

The best way to test is full factory reset.

Factory reset universal

Power off the AE.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the AE to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg AEgen5 and AEwifi for basestation and wireless respectively.

Even better if the issue is more wireless use AE24ghz and AE5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense.

2. Use all passwords that also comply but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. Ensure the AE always takes the same IP address.. this is not a problem if it is setup as router.. but is a big problem in bridge.. move the IP to fixed via dhcp reservations in the main router.. also plug the AE into the main router by LAN instead of WAN.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric..

5. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only.

6. Test speed in the local network.. if this is ok, then your problem is purely the AE itself not handling WAN.. There are major issues on WAN.

Sep 5, 2015 3:32 PM in response to ravensrage

Ubee or Zoom I have heard.. but I am in a different country on adsl .. and so I only have what is reported around here to go on.

At the same time I would say the SB6141 is a perfectly good modem..

I think you will find it cheaper and better to simply buy a router.. it can be a dirt cheap one from ebay.. WNDR3800 is a favourite.. flash it over to gargoyle firmware.. which is no harder than any standard firmware update.. and run the Airport router in bridge.. which will solve this problem and provide wireless to the network which the older Netgear is not so good at.. total cost.. maybe $30.. and you will get loads of benefits including full network control.. data usage, quota and parental controls.

fluctuating wifi signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.