Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to Yosemite. However I need to create a way to reinstall Mountain Lion in the event that I cannot use FCP 7 Studio, Aperture 3.4.5 and other software. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

I want to upgrade from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to Yosemite. However I need to create a way to reinstall Mountain Lion in the event that I cannot use FCP 7 Studio, Aperture 3.4.5 and other software.

I already tried creating a boot disk using DiskMaker X 4b5 and the install file could not be found. Also went to the App store and found that the Mountain Lion Download is no longer available. My original install was an upgrade via download…I do not have the Mountain Lion install discs. I have an iMac, vintage 2011 with a 2.93 GHz Intel Core I7 with 12 MB Ram

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 11:32 PM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2015 5:15 AM in response to Oceanget

Peter is referring to an app like Carbon Copy Cloner. https://bombich.com/ You'll find all the documentation you'll need there. The advantage of using CCC over Time Machine is that you can boot from the CCC clone. Then you can clone the clone back to your HD. Some people prefer that.

I use Time Machine. If you already have a backup of your HD with Time Machine you're all set. It's very easy to restore from that backup if you need to.

I want to upgrade from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to Yosemite. However I need to create a way to reinstall Mountain Lion in the event that I cannot use FCP 7 Studio, Aperture 3.4.5 and other software. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.