Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email within email

I'm using a 24' iMac, running OS Yosemite with Apple's Mail program. Today my mail program started doing something new and I can't figure out how to reverse this. Here's the situation...

I get email from people - that's all fine. But, if someone emails me a second time or more, each successive email from that person now is inserted into the first email from them. The program inserts a very tiny number which indicates how many emails are lying within. I have to click on that number to display all their emails and then click on them again to open them. How is this?

Does anyone know if I can change the mail program back to where each email comes as its own email? I've looked at all the settings and see nothing that would suggest I could change it back.

Dave

<Email Edited by Host>

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.4), null

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 8:20 PM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2015 8:37 PM in response to keel

I think you posted in the wrong forum since you are talking about a Mac, not an iPad. Regardless on an iPad go to Settings > Mail... and turn Organize By Thread to OFF. On a Mac under your Mail Preferences > View, deselect Organize by Conversation. Is that what you are after? Your message was not very clear to me. Good luck.

Sep 4, 2015 10:21 PM in response to elcpu

I wish I could make this more clear. Your advice about deselecting 'organize by conversation', apparently doesn't exist on a desktop using Yosemite. Wish I could upload a picture here. I'll provide a detailed description here. I am not using the classic layout, so the Mail app, when open, is divided into three columns. The 1st column displays 'inbox', 'sent' box and 'trash'. Second column displays the sender and heading, along with the date. The third column is where the body of the text is. In the 2nd column, under the date is where the number is displayed that says how many emails from you are therein. So, if you write me once, your email shows up as normal. You then email me a second time and now, instead of getting a separate email from you, the first email from you now displays the number '2'. I then have to click on the '2' and both your emails display as secondary headers. I then have to click on each one again in order to read each. Incredibly irritating and frustrating!

If this is a new update from Apple, then Apple is doing what Microsoft routinely does and that is designing software ***-backwards, making things harder to do, that take longer to do, that are more frustrating to do. Apple keeps this up, I'll swear off of computers altogether.

Sep 5, 2015 3:05 AM in response to keel

Your advice about deselecting 'organize by conversation', apparently doesn't exist on a desktop using Yosemite.

The emails are not being inserted into another email, they are being Grouped together.

This isto display all the emails with the same subject from the same sender together, it saves searching through all the emails looking for the next email

you can change this way of viewing by deselecting: View > Organise by Conversation

I have to click on that number to display all their emails and then click on them again to open them.

Instead, click on the senders name on the left side of the list and it will show the emails for that subject in date order.

Sep 5, 2015 6:05 AM in response to keel

Hi Keel, you can indeed post a picture in here. Just take a screenshot (Press/hold Command & Shift and then click on the number 3) - the screenshot will be on your desktop. Then click the camera button on the top bar of composing window here and import the picture like I did below:

User uploaded file

The screenshot above shows you were Organize by Conversation is on Yosemite 10.10.5.

Just a consideration.... I don't use the Mail App on Yosemite as I find it a royal pain. Much prefer to get my email directly from a browser like Chrome or Safari (for IMAP mail like Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, and the like). Just open the browser, log on to your provider and all your mail will be there.

Regarding your concern/frustration about reaching the desired item, just do what Gary suggested above. Click on senders name on the left side and it should show you the emails for that topic in date order.

I hope this addresses your issue. Don't hesitate to ask here if you have a concern, I have gotten a lot of help myself and there is no need to be frustrated as help is readily available.

Good luck,

elcpu

email within email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.