Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ethernet isn't working with airport extreme.

My cord is fine I've tried others and they have the same problem. A few days ago my ethernet kept dropping out and all I had to do was unplug it and plug it back in to fix it. I played with the settings, and tried getting help with it but now my computer isn't even showing an ethernet cord is plugged into my computer. I think the settings on the airport extreme or something may be messed up. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in after a minute to reset it but ethernet still doesn't work.

null-OTHER

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 8:49 PM

16 replies

Sep 4, 2015 8:58 PM in response to bytherulez

Does the light turn on?? If not the ethernet port has failed or the drivers are not working on the laptop.

Set the laptop driver to slowest speed.. 10mbit full duplex.. then try 100mbit if that works.

Strongly recommend you get a standard PC router to go with Windows 10.. it is proving a dog on PC networks.. and you need a kennel on apple stuff.

Sep 4, 2015 10:26 PM in response to bytherulez

My ethernet port has never had a light

Always has .. ethernet has a connectivity light.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

See the green light.. they MUST go green when ethernet cable is plugged in and working.. on the PC end there should also be lights that go green or amber.. they are the ethernet connectivity lights.. all computers and routers have them.. (except apple computers.. ??) They don't prove a connection is going to work.. but they prove connectivity has been established.. no green lights no connection.. If your Extreme has no lights.. return it.

Better routers will show speed by color of the lights.. Apple routers are not that capable.

A tiny dot in the top right corner of the ethernet port.. it must turn green when the cable is connected.. If it has failed return the Airport .. it is faulty.

To set the port speed.. sorry I have no idea what PC you have or what brand ethernet card.. all of which is specific to the driver.

Open device manager and go to the actual ethernet card.. click on the properties and go to every page in the setup.. the wired speed is in there.. I cannot tell you exactly where..

Sep 4, 2015 10:40 PM in response to LaPastenague

I can't find it. Not sure if it's not there or if I can't find it just because I don't really know what I'm looking for...

The green light is on for the router, but not for my computer ( still not sure whether my computer has a light or not, I don't remember ever seeing one in the last 6 months). My ethernet cord locks into my computer locks my ethernet cord in upside down so maybe that's why it might not have a light.

Sep 5, 2015 9:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

I played with it last night, doing some things that were advised on a couple threads that of applied to my situation, and nothing changed. it still was not working at all. This morning though it's working fine.. That's weird... I feel like in the near future it might stop working again though, if it does I'll come back to this thread, or make a new thread and post the link to this one if it stops working in over a week. Thanks for the help, I'll definitely still checkout my ethernet speed.

Sep 5, 2015 4:10 PM in response to bytherulez

Has the connectivity light on the AE gone off??

Go to the Asus website and see if they have new drivers for windows 10 and your ethernet card..

IMHO this is windows 10 driver. If the computer used to work perfectly and then after an upgrade it works badly.. and knowing that windows 10 seems have made a total hash of networking.. there are complaints all over the net about it.. then I would go back to win8.1 or whatever you were on until MS sort out their issues.

I think you have exhausted what you can do with what you have..

If I was testing this to find the point of failure what I would do is use a switch between the laptop and the router.. or even better use a different router to eliminate that as the problem. If you still have issues then the airport is totally exonerated and the problem is the PC. And if it worked well and then you upgraded the software.. the issue is not hardware.. which I think you did test well enough by dropping the speed.. rather it is crummy drivers.

Sep 5, 2015 4:09 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ok, I found where you can change the ethernet settings even with it "not plugged in" and changed teh speed to the lowest setting and it's working for now. When (no doubtibly it will) it malfunctions again I'll try looking for drives on the asus website and then go back to windows 8.1 (which imo is a lot easier to find **** on anyways). Thanks for all of your help. You were the most helpful person I've found in this mess 🙂

Sep 5, 2015 9:41 PM in response to bytherulez

You can try but IMHO you need to look for the win10 driver directly from realtek.

Sometimes the best way is delete the current driver.. and just let windows find the replacement..

Realtek are absolutely stock standard on the vast majority of computers now.

Obviously for this to work you need wireless network running.. otherwise you have just cut off the branch you are sitting on.

My ethernet isn't working with airport extreme.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.