Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

boot camp 6.0

My iMac (14,3) is with 4 partitions SSD 1. with windows 8.1.

Then 1GB Hard disk with 2. Maverick 3.Windows data 4. Recovery. Via boot camp I can boot 1. and 2. I configured the boot camp manager in such a way that it boots windows (I am 72 years old and I am not capable anymore to use a new operting system really well!) That is the raeason why I put windows on the SSD, which I know is not the standard with Boot camp Manager software.

Then the following was done:

1. I upgraded on Windows from Windows 8.1 to 10. Everything worked fine until I tried to to connect my Android tablet to my iMac. I found out that the Bluetoth driver was not installed. I tried to update the driver, but windows gave up.

2. I tried to find a solution, which I thought I found on: Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support.

3. I followed the instructions for upgrading to windows 10.

4. Therefore I updated my Maverick to Yosemite and some other updates which where installed from the App Store.

5. I ran then in Windows the Apple Software update. iTunes and Quicktime where updated, but no new drivers or a new version of boot camp - it still is 5. something.

6. I went back to Yosemite and ran the boot camp utility and opted for item 2 only, i.e. only an update of the boot camp itself and saved it to an usb stick.

7. I booted windows 10 and tried to run the BootCamp.msi which is located under Bootcamp -Drivers- Apple on the usb stick.

8. Windows told me that it would not run the msi, becacause I needed more rights, I should run setup.exe instead which was located on the USB stick under BootCamp.

9. That failed as well.

10. I then installed the drivers manually by running the exes in BootCamp-Drivers- Apple for the mouse and the camera. But I could not find the drivers for bluetooth.

11. I then went to the windows device manager and selected the USB driver with the yellow question mark and updated the driver by telling windows to look on the USB stick. It found the driver!

This sounds like a success story, but not quite as the boot camp manager now does not accept anymore that I boot by default to windows. The only way I can get there is by pressing alt during bootup and select Windows. That is not very convenient. ( and the bootmanager displays all 4 partitions as bootable!)

I know this is a pretty long story for an inconvenience, but my experience might save somebody a lot of experimenting.

But:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS INCONVENIENCE AND GET THE BOOTCAMP WORK CORRECTLY?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), windows 10

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 12:57 AM

16 replies

Sep 5, 2015 8:09 AM in response to J.Dupont

Please see Boot Camp: Set the default operating system for setting your default Startup OS. If you still have entries in Device Manager which have yellow triangle with exclamation mark, a Snipping Tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shot s#1TC=windows-8) screen shot would be really helpful.

If there are other issues, please post the list.

Thank you for providing a details list of steps. It is very helpful. Step 4 Mavericks to Yosemite was unnecessary, but Yosemite should be fine.

Look in the Drivers folder for Broadcom drivers, which should also support Bluetooth.

Sep 6, 2015 12:25 AM in response to Loner T

Thanx for the prompt reply.

For the Broadcom drivers, that is true.

I found out later, that I could have done it directly from the Drivers directory on the USB stick, which is anyway the better way, because Windows told me that the mouse driver was ok, but it was not. The scrolling did not work! So I updated the driver with the exes in the Drives-Apple Section. Since then the mouse works perfectly.

Now the other tip with default booting - that does not work! I did it before from Yosemite and then from windows - to no avail.

The other point you made with Maverick to Yosemite. I am not so sure any more, but I believe I tried the BootCamp Utility under Maverick and it created BootCamp 5.something and not 6.0. But as said I am not so sure about that anymore.

So, anybody out there who knows a solution to the default booting!

Sep 6, 2015 7:53 AM in response to J.Dupont

BC Assistant 5.1.4 can download Bootcamp 6 drivers needed for Windows 10. This is from a 13-in 2012 MBP running BC Assistant 5.1.4 and download BC 6.0.6133 drivers. This has been modified to let me install W7.

User uploaded file

Do you have a Control Panel -> System -> Boot Camp icon? If yes, can you switch from Windows to OS X? In OS X Can you verify that you can switch from OS X to Windows using System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Bootcamp? This will verify that the underlying services function properly. If they do, I suggest running the following two steps and testing the Default OS settings.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

and testing the steps for Default OS settings?

Your drivers seem to be fine so far.

Sep 7, 2015 2:23 AM in response to Loner T

I am probably killing my iMac slowly! I do a SMC reset each morning! I checked the power consumption when my iMac was switched off. It was 11W. Too much!

I switch off my whole gear, router, printer, scanner, iMac each evening at 11pm and switch it on at 8am via a switch which uses only 0,5W.

That means I do a SMC each morning. I hope it will not wreck my iMac.

The NVRAM reset did not help either. Then I tested the start volume selection

I can select from windows and OSX OSX as a start volume and it works. When I select with the same procedure the windows volume, it does not work. I get a black screen DOS style telling me that the disk is not bootable and I should insert a bootable disk.

From there I switch off the iMac and switch it on again after a while with the alt key pressed - then the well known screen appears with 4 HD Pictures

1. Start Maverick (that is the partition on the HD with OSX)

2. Windows (that is partition on the SSD with Window10 OS)

3. Windows (that is my data section on the HD for windows)

4. Recovery

If I select No.2 Windows starts fine and that is the only way I can use Windows currently.

I am really wondering whether it is a windows problem or a bootcamp problem.

The problem with the black screen seems to indicate that the bootmanager points to the wrong start volume or that the volume is not bootable (windows problem!). But if it were a windows problem, why the heck can I start it smoothly from the selection screen!

I attach the screenshot done in OSX of my USB stick with the BootCamp Software. The dates are not correct, because I copied the original USB to another stick, as I need the larger original for something else. Somehow it looks different from yours.

Sorry to bother. If you are tired of my little inconvenience just tell me, I certainly can understand it.

User uploaded file

Sep 7, 2015 5:26 AM in response to J.Dupont

J.Dupont wrote:

I am probably killing my iMac slowly! I do a SMC reset each morning! I checked the power consumption when my iMac was switched off. It was 11W. Too much! I switch off my whole gear, router, printer, scanner, iMac each evening at 11pm and switch it on at 8am via a switch which uses only 0,5W. That means I do a SMC each morning. I hope it will not wreck my iMac.

The NVRAM reset did not help either.

No, you will not wreak your iMac. You are prolonging the it's life expectancy by shutting it down every night. A SMC reset may be unnecessary, but shutting down power consuming equipment at night to conserve energy and electricity is a good idea (and good for the planet).

Then I tested the start volume selection

I can select from windows and OSX OSX as a start volume and it works. When I select with the same procedure the windows volume, it does not work. I get a black screen DOS style telling me that the disk is not bootable and I should insert a bootable disk.

From there I switch off the iMac and switch it on again after a while with the alt key pressed - then the well known screen appears with 4 HD Pictures

1. Start Maverick (that is the partition on the HD with OSX)

2. Windows (that is partition on the SSD with Window10 OS)

3. Windows (that is my data section on the HD for windows)

4. Recovery

If I select No.2 Windows starts fine and that is the only way I can use Windows currently.

I am really wondering whether it is a windows problem or a bootcamp problem.

The problem with the black screen seems to indicate that the bootmanager points to the wrong start volume or that the volume is not bootable (windows problem!). But if it were a windows problem, why the heck can I start it smoothly from the selection screen!

This helps solve one mystery. If this explanation is not sufficient, please ask for more details. Your setup is a bit different than usual.

1. Do you have a Fusion drive (which is a combination of an internal SSD and HDD)?

2. Usually Windows (7,8+,10) will not install on the SSD part at any time under normal Bootcamp operation, unless it is manually configured during installation.

3. Partitioning a Mac which contains Bootcamp is typically not allowed, unless it is manually maintained and software upgrades tend to break it.

4. You have a discrepancy between the two partitioning techniques used for disks. Macs usually use GPT (GUID Partition table) disks. On Macs prior to Late 2013, to support Windows dual booting, a MBR (Hybrid MBR to be technical) is used. Your startup test indicates that these two structures are currently out of sync.

5. It would be good to know if there is any external storage installed in this environment which contains OS installation.

To better understand what you have in your setup, can you post the output of the following OS X Terminal commands.

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

I attach the screenshot done in OSX of my USB stick with the BootCamp Software.

This looks clean. I do not see any issues.

Sorry to bother. If you are tired of my little inconvenience just tell me, I certainly can understand it.

No. Please do not hang up. 😉 Your 'inconvenience' is very intriguing and good exercise to better understand how people use their Macs. Let us continue. If you get tired of my questions, let me know.

Sep 7, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Loner T

First of all. Yes this is not a standard setup. After I had read an article in a German computer magazine, that one could install windows on the SSD of an iMac, I bought one in 2013, even considering the price of over 2000$.

But I must say it was worth the price, the hardware and design are just outstanding and the performance of Windows as well, It takes 2 secs to boot and I have a heavy system. OSX naturally takes longer, even as a pretty pristine system, because it sits on the HD.

You can see the setup from the attached screenshot.

User uploaded file

So the setup is strange, but that is what I wanted and I had no problems whatsoever until I upgraded to Windows 10!

And I would not have taken Windows 10, if I had had to make a clean install, because as I said there are lot of applications, and in 2013 when I had to do a clean install, it almost led me to give up!

NB. In 2013 I went to an Apple Dealer to have him make the installation, but he obviously did not dare, because he never came back!

Sep 7, 2015 8:34 AM in response to J.Dupont

1. You had a 1TB Apple Fusion drive. The Fusion drive was split into the underlying 120Gb SSD and 1TB HDD.

2. You have a Windows EFI installation, not the traditional MBR installation, since you have a MS Reserved and MS Data partition.

3. I will ignore disk2 and disk3 since they do not really play any role in the current setup.

4. I have a MacMini 2011 (non-EFI) on which I have a 256GB SSD split in half with OS X and Windows 7 (core OSes only). The HDD is also split in half and the OS X half on both is in a single CoreStorage volume, so OS X sees it as a single logical partition. The C: is on SSD, and E: is the shared FAT32 (but it can be NTFS or exFAT) also. D: is OS X but not accessible due to CS.

5. Your disk0s1 (Windows RE) indicates that W10 requires a recovery.

6. If you notice the EFI partition on disk0 and disk1 are different sizes. One has Apple, the other has Windows. Usually when two EFI OSes are used, there is a single EFI and has Boot information from both OSes on it. See Can't resize Macintosh HD partition as a reference and the later EFI discussion.

7. Your SSD has only the Microsoft EFI. It can be mounted and verified. Using Alt causes all disks with a boot-able EFI to be searched, which allows you to boot W10, but Startup Disk is looking for an NTFS partition controlled by Apple NTFS to bless and boot from. Your NTFS is the MS Data part, but it has no bootable MBR.

8. Third-party NTFS software will interfere with this. Do you have any third-party software?

Sep 8, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Loner T

re 5:

I tried to make a recovery point under w10. It did not work. I get a strange error message: error with shadow copy supplier. error code 0x80042306.

But I managed to create a startup dvd, but after the problem occured with BootCamp.

Maybe it is important: The BootCamp default worked immediately during and after upgrading, Only after a lot of updates were installed, I had the problem.

re 8:

No, I did not install any third party, but I ca read the NTFS data, but I understand that is standard with OSX.

Sep 8, 2015 8:30 AM in response to J.Dupont

J.Dupont wrote:

re 5:

I tried to make a recovery point under w10. It did not work. I get a strange error message: error with shadow copy supplier. error code 0x80042306.

But I managed to create a startup dvd, but after the problem occured with BootCamp.

Maybe it is important: The BootCamp default worked immediately during and after upgrading, Only after a lot of updates were installed, I had the problem.

This is related to AppleHFS/AppleMNT driver which allows you to read OSX partitions from the Windows side. Please see Some known issues with boot camp 5.1 with windows 10 .

Thanks for clarifying the NTFS software. The Apple NTFS driver is fine, but non-Apple drivers/software interfere with the native driver and can cause conflicts with Startup Disk.

One option for your consideration is to backup Windows using Windows Backup/Restore to an external NTFS-formatted disk. Erase the SSD, and restore the Windows backup to the SSD and try to clean the Windows boot issue.

Sep 9, 2015 3:46 AM in response to Loner T

I fixed the problem with the restoring by deactivating the HFS driver.

I also reinstalled windows 10 from windows 10, because my memory told me (falsely) that the booting worked correctly in the beginning. That did not solve the problem.

Now your proposal to erase my SSD reinstal windows from a backup drive and then fix the bootproblem:

Seems risky to me as a nonexpert, as I have a lot of programs, which I do not want to reinstal. And if I reinstal from an image don't I have the same stuff on my SSD as before ???

Sep 9, 2015 5:59 AM in response to J.Dupont

J.Dupont wrote:

Now your proposal to erase my SSD reinstal windows from a backup drive and then fix the bootproblem:

Seems risky to me as a nonexpert, as I have a lot of programs, which I do not want to reinstal. And if I reinstal from an image don't I have the same stuff on my SSD as before ???

If you create a System Image Backup of Windows to an external NTFS drive and erase and restore, Windows RE (disk0s1) should be removed, and the EFI will contain Apple firmware. It should allow you to restore Windows as is including all your applications. The backup will them. The W10 upgrade creates issues, but a clean install on the same hardware will also correct any underlying mixed drivers between W7/W8 and W10.

Sep 10, 2015 1:05 AM in response to Loner T

Dear Loner

I will leave you and your T alone for a while, because I have to come to grips with myself. I believe that the solution you proposed will work, but I am not the most daring man in the world!

I might come back later to report back, if I have done something to my system.

Thanx a lot, you are really knowldgable and polite at the same Time - a rare combination!

See you,

J. Dupont.

Sep 12, 2015 12:25 AM in response to Loner T

Good morning,

yesterday was my day. I realized that it is not enough to know that you have a problem, but you have to know what the problem is!

I never managed to run setup.exe on my USB BootCamp Stick. It always said that the bootcamp.msi was not correct. I did not bother as I could always load the drivers for windows 10 out of the drivers section.

Then I stumbled over alxkum post Solution for Bootcamp 6 error on Windows 10 I followed the instructions and since then the default bootsettings work!

So thanx to Loner T and alxkum and shame on the Apple software team for their sloppy programming. As I am not very familiar with forums, I hope that teh above link works.

boot camp 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.