Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iPad mini 1 no longer boots

On 09/04 iTunes 12.2.2.25 asked to update my first generation iPad mini, but during the restore it said "Your iPad can't be update; you must restore it to factory settings.". So I pressed "Restore" button, then it showed "Are you sure you want to restore the iPad "XXXX" to its factory setting? ...." I clicked on "Restore and Update" button. iTunes downloaded the update file and then showed "The iPad "XXXX" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred".

I clicked on "More Information" and try to follow the hostname manipulation solution and disabling firewall etc. but I could not get the "Restore and Update" on iTunes to work.

Before the update process, iPad was running without problem. Basically update process left iPad in broken state. Only thing I see on iPad it 'iTues" with white cable sign. I cannot operate on it do do anything.

What could I do to fix this so I can use it again just like before?

Thank you

iPad Mini, iOS 8.4

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:44 PM

5 replies

Sep 4, 2015 11:00 PM in response to Xintalon

I had this problem with an iPad 2 recently. I ignored the request to do a Factory reset and got it to work on the third restore. In your situation, I would connect it to iTunes again (that is what the pic you describe means it is ready for) and try again for regular restore. Maybe it will take two or three tries. I would restart the iPad after each try that fails.

Sep 4, 2015 11:51 PM in response to UGADog

Thank you for an advice. But the problem I am having seems to be little different. It seems you could get it reset to factory settings. In my case that I am seeing with my iPad mini 1, I cannot even get iTunes to start the process. Soon after I hit "Restore and Update", I see "Extracting software..." progress bar, and then when it gets to all the way to the right I see a pop up error message [The iPad "XXXX" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3014)."

If I click on "More Information", it takes me to this page - If you see Error 3194, Error 17, or 'This device isn't eligible for the requested build' in iTunes - Apple Support.

I followed those things explained in the page, but I am seeing exactly the same problem (I turned off, uninstalled security program, and re-installed iTunes also..) It seems the latest update just decided to break my working iPad mini 1... Maybe they bluntly discontinued the support for an old iPad like mine.

Sep 5, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Xintalon

I just found a supported device list for iOS 8.4.1 (which I am not sure where the real source is from) in Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices). According to the page, iOS 8.4.1 supports iPad mini, so I am a bit relieved. I just have to figure out how to make the update happen.

And I just tried using another iTunes instance on a Windows 10 Enterprise at work computer (with Comodo enabled), and it seems to be doing the iOS update just fine with this computer. Thank you for sending me suggestions.

Restoring iPad mini 1 no longer boots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.