Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I replace iTunes 12.2.2.25? It is full of wasted space, wrong album covers, and nothing but frustration for any serious music collector. Or is it only sheep who ask questions here?

Okay, for the third time on this site I am asking someone, anyone: how can I get rid of iTunes 12.2.2.25 which came with Yosemite 10.10.5 and recover some older or different version? It is full of wasted space in the playlists, will not allow me to write what I want in the fields, is chock full of wrong album covers (I don't need or want album covers: why isn't there an option?) and is altogether nothing but frustration for any serious music collector. Somebody please save me from this travesty; I've been collecting for years and I have to get out of this trap-- Doneth in Colorado Springs

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 6:18 PM

I think I probably responded to at least one earlier post with links to articles discussing how to do the things you seemingly cannot. Yes, you can write things to fields. Yes, you can change views without album covers.

I suspect I also mentioned that if you (and I will let you do the footwork) do a web search you will find many pages with instructions on how to downgrade iTunes. Unless you made a clone backup of your computer just prior to upgrading (which as a serious music collector who cares about their collection of course you did) you will have to do a painstaking process to downgrade.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 6:18 PM in response to doneth

I think I probably responded to at least one earlier post with links to articles discussing how to do the things you seemingly cannot. Yes, you can write things to fields. Yes, you can change views without album covers.

I suspect I also mentioned that if you (and I will let you do the footwork) do a web search you will find many pages with instructions on how to downgrade iTunes. Unless you made a clone backup of your computer just prior to upgrading (which as a serious music collector who cares about their collection of course you did) you will have to do a painstaking process to downgrade.

Sep 5, 2015 6:25 PM in response to Limnos

Thank you, Limnos. I'm sure you're trying to help. I will be 75 years old this year, and I have to work in a shopping mall because I spent the best years of my life writing books about music, and there was no money in that. I do not have the time or the energy or the expertise to trawl the Internet looking for the book that should have been in the box. Such suggestions as there are here do not work: when I go to iTunes/preferences/general there is no "Show Apple Music" option to disable. I guess I'm just screwed.

Sep 6, 2015 8:23 PM in response to doneth

You probably need to take a step back and start from the beginning, without being abusive to the people who volunteer their time here.

You are running iTunes 12.x.x.x, correct? Do you have iTunes Match? Did you elect to participate in the Apple Music free subscription? We would all like to help, but you are not giving us anything to go on here.

Not sure why you are not seeing this under iTunes>Preferences>General:

User uploaded file

I tuned mine off because I do not use the iTunes Library on this Mac, and I am really not interested in Apple Music. Also, it was giving me issues when I tried to redeem a Gift Card, so I unchecked "Show Apple Music".

So, if you can verify what you have opted in or out of regarding the first two questions, then that would be helpful.

Also, it does not require a geek to do a simple Google search. I typed in "Downgrade iTunes to 11.x" in the Google search bar, and the first result was:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2839797/unhappy-with-itunes-12-heres-how-to-reve rt-to-itunes-11.html

Your age does not get you a bye here in terms of general civility. If you take a moment to look at your title and your posts, you will see that they are unnecessarily abusive and basically discourteous. You may be frustrated and upset that you are running into issues, I get that. But the people here are fellow users who spend their own time on these forums with the intention of helping other users. There is no more reason to take out your frustration on the people volunteering here than there is to yell at a ticket-counter agent when a plane is delayed. It's just bad manners and boorish....

GB

Sep 7, 2015 5:47 AM in response to gail from maine

It is Apple who is making my life ****, not any of you people. Now that I know how sensitive you are I shall try to behave in a more straitlaced manner. I was looking for "Show Apple Music Option": "Show Apple Music" is not checked and has never been checked. I do not know what "iTunes Match" is. I am not interested in the iTunes store or in the "Apple Music free subscription" or in any clouds. All I want is a place to store my music library, which is on an external hard disc, and a simple mechanical way of navigating it, as opposed to Apple's latest outrage. Thank you for the link to unhappy-with-itunes-12, which is what I was hoping for for several days. I shall study it but I am terrified of losing all my music. (A genius in an Apple store once lost it all for me and I only recovered it by backtracking; that was several years ago and I don't remember the details.) My music library is already "backed up", but all these devices are hooked together and I don't know what I'm doing. If you have any more advice for me let me know, if I haven't offended you too much.

Doneth in Colorado

Sep 7, 2015 7:35 AM in response to doneth

I guess one thing I find puzzling is why people always automatically upgrade just because something newer comes out? Now to me that is "sheep" behavior. After iTunes 7.5 I never saw any improvements to iTunes that I needed (and many I definitely did not want) so I still use iTunes 7.5. I realize it probably won't run on a newer computer, though I did just get a year 2008 computer with Mavericks on it and once I set it up one of my experiments will be to see if I can downgrade iTunes 12 to 7.5. Still with any software I first review changes in documentation and reviews. Then I back up my computer as a clone so I can restore it 100% as it was before. Install one new software package at a time and test until I decide it is time to overwrite the previous backup.

By the way, I suspect many of the helpers on this site also experienced the transition from using a slide rule to electronics. Unfortunately participation in learning about technology in the modern world is mandatory unless you truly live unconnected, off the grid, and have a box of identical computers to last you the rest of your life (and even then they may not last that long as electronic components degrade with time).

Sep 7, 2015 8:52 AM in response to doneth

If you have backed your library up, then you do not need to be concerned with losing it since you have the backup. Keep in mind that the app and the library are two separate things. Changing the app may cause the links to that library to become corrupted, but the library and the contents of the library are in no way affected by anything you do with the app. Again, the navigation links may get out of whack, but that is a matter of re-establishing that navigation path. The contents of the library are separate from the iTunes app. Just make sure your backup is accessible.

Back to the civility part. Apple is not here, so if you are mad at Apple tell them about it. And I am far from sensitive. I just think that people believe they can behave any way they wish when they have the anonymity of the internet. That just doesn't work with me. If you are 75 years old, then you would have been brought up in a period of time when manners and civility were de rigueur. I have no doubt that your Mother must have said to you "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all", or "keep a civil tongue in your mouth". That is certainly something my Mother used to say. So, that's what I was getting at. We all have our moments, and I am no exception. But it is just a good rule of thumb to refrain from abusing people just because you can't see them....

Best of luck,

GB

Sep 7, 2015 12:08 PM in response to Limnos

I know better than to accept a new version of Cyberduck because it won't work properly with a private music-swapping server I use. It was my wife who accepted all the new "apps" because she thinks that's what we have to do, and to an extent she's right: I have a ten-year-old computer with Quicken on it that I still use to keep my accounts, because the Quicken won't work on a later model. Meanwhile, Apple is pestering us to download new "apps" and does not tell us what they are. Who knew a new "app" was an entirely new operating system? It is all very well to suggest that we all become computer literate, but where do we start? How, pray, does one examine a new operating system to find out how a completely new and different iTunes will work? Ordinary people, that is the vast majority, will have no idea how to insure themselves from idiocy like the new iTunes. I have an editing tool called Audacity on my computer; no idea how to use it. As I say, I have written books about music; I have also worked in bookstores for the last 20 years, as well as being online much longer than that, and I can tell you that the people who do this stuff CAN'T WRITE. The kids who work in computer stores can hardly TALK. I must thank the group again for the link to Macworld's unhappy-with-itunes-12: to my astonishment, it is much the best thing of its kind I have ever seen. Even I can understand it.

Sep 7, 2015 12:07 PM in response to gail from maine

As I say, GB, I am sorry if you feel abused. I'm sure my parents had perfectly good manners; they did not live live into an era when the customer is always wrong.

You want me to yell at Apple? And where, precisely, do I go to do that? And will there be any response? Shall I go back to an Apple store (being careful to make an appointment first) and let some kid trash all my music? I'd rather do it myself. I'd certainly rather talk to you.

Thanks for wishing me luck. We all need it in the cyberworld. One of my favorite tools is ClickRepair. The owner keeps telling me he has a new version available. He neglects to tell me anything about it, where it is, why I should buy it or where I could buy it if I wanted to. Need I go on? I'm sure have your own horror stories?

doneth

How can I replace iTunes 12.2.2.25? It is full of wasted space, wrong album covers, and nothing but frustration for any serious music collector. Or is it only sheep who ask questions here?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.