Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting an error with Bootcamp Assistant while making a Windows 10 bootable USB

So I have a 2015 MBP Yosemite (10.10.5) running Boot Camp Assistant (5.1.4) and I keep getting an error when I try to put the Windows 10 64-bit ISO onto a USB Drive.

I downloaded the Windows 10 64-bit off of Windows website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

(File: Win10_English_x64.iso) and have it on my desktop

When I run Bootcamp Assistant I get the error:

*Your bootable USB drive could not be created. *
Boot Camp only supports Windows 8 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 8 or later installation.

Any suggestions? I've tried rebooting, using the other USB port, reformatting the USB to FAT.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:08 PM

10 replies

Sep 4, 2015 10:29 PM in response to mlee21

1. From the Finder, open the Applications folder, and then Utilities.
  2. Open the Boot Camp Assistant, and then click Continue. The next screen should give you a list of options.
  3. UITS recommends making the USB drive installer first. You don't need to install Windows or download the support software at this time, as it will be easier to do both later. To proceed:
    1. Verify that the USB drive you will be writing to is plugged in.
    2. Uncheck the Install Windows 7 or later version and Download the latest Windows support software from Apple options.
    3. Check Create a Windows 7 or later install disk and click Continue.
  4. Your USB drive should be listed in the "Destination disk" area. Use choose to browse to your
    .iso
    file; after selecting it, click Continue.
  5. If prompted, confirm your action and/or provide an administrator's password. The process of writing the
    .iso
    file to the USB drive can take 20 minutes or longer.

Sep 4, 2015 10:50 PM in response to mlee21

Do you have a legitimate copy of the Win10 .iso file? Is the USB flash drive properly partitioned and formatted per the other installation instructions? I don't use Boot Camp or Windows, so I'm not sure why you are having this problem. You appear to be following the instructions I found for creating the installer flash drive.

Getting an error with Bootcamp Assistant while making a Windows 10 bootable USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.